Saturday, January 14, 2012

There's a Light!


Okay, so back in my youth I was an avid Rocky Horror Picture Show fan.  My friends Mary, James and I would dress up and make the rounds of the midnight showings with prerequisite shopping bags full of props.  Later when I moved into NYC I even made a point of attending the 8th Street Playhouse showings as often as I could, dressing up in character more often than not (I could tell you who I would dress as but then I would have to terminate you).  Anyway, one of my favorite songs from the show (mainly because we all sang it at the top of our lungs) was "Over at the Frankenstein Place" and here is an acoustic version performed by Richard O'Brien (the original Riff Raff for those of you who don't know, as well as the creator of the show);



I always liked the idea that there was a guiding light to help you find your way through the velvet darkness.  And if you want to find the chords to this, look no further than here (heads up, I'm planning on learning this puppy so be ready for it!)

And that's the optimistic place I think I'm starting to find myself in right now.  You see, we got some really good news yesterday - we just received a donation of $1,000 to our Connor's Army Ride Across America (otherwise known as CARAAM) and that, plus what we've already managed to raise puts us at almost 4% of our goal.  Yes, that means we've raised roughly $2,000 which isn't much - YET - but we know we have to prime the pump somehow.  What's that?  You don't know what it meanst to "prime the pump"?  You've surely heard the expression?  Well technically it looks something like this;



The idea being that you have to put in water to get water out (read here to read the descriptive process) and although it may start as a slow trickle, if you keep pumping you eventually get a steady stream. 

Well, we're hoping that what is now a trickle will turn into a stream.  It may never become a torrential downpour but a little bit at a time can add up over time and make a huge difference.  Sort of like this;



And I suppose that's what we're hoping.  Despite the fact that the faucet has been turned waaaaayyyyyyyy down, we're hoping that perhaps a steady little drip continues to fall and between now and the end of August when I finally return from the 3600 mile trip enough drops will have come down to fill up the entire glass.  At this point its our main hope.

But we have to look on the bright side and keep the eternal optimism - sort of like Monty Python's Brian (DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION ON THE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS OF THE ESTABLISHMENT, THE FOLLOWING IS INTENDED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY IN HOMAGE TO THE LIKES OF SPARTACUS WHO WERE CRUCIFIED EN MASSE);




So yes, recent setbacks could make me just decide to pack up my bikes and say forget it all but as Brian reminds us, we have to look on the bright side.  We have to know that there is a light out there somewhere.  And while this really applies to me right here and right now and to all the efforts we are putting into helping the kids of Sunrise, know that it really applies to all the set backs of life.  I could sit on my bum and bemoan my fate;

(What do you mean no Beggin' Strips?  I didn't make that spot! I was framed I tell ya!)
Instead, just as Casey Niestat shows, when you get knocked down off the bike, you just have to get right back on and keep at it;



Its the only logical thing to do, right?  It's not as t-shirt friendly as "When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade" but I've never been one to take things lying down, it often gets me into trouble but I just can't roll over and not keep trying.  I've tried. 

One of my favorite movies ever (and yes I admit I cry every time I see the end) is the movie Rudy and yes, its sappy and yes, its maudlin an predictable - but damn, I can identify with the little guy becasue I too have been told my entire life I can't do things.  I couldn't go to college, I couldn't be a ballet dancer, I couldn't make it as an actor and now I'm being told that I can't raise the money for the kids of Sunrise and to that I say watch this;



If Rudy (and this is a true story mind you) could come on as a short-of-stature, slow walk-on and play for one of THE most storied college football teams of all time, then anything can happen.  You just have to believe - like Brian and Rudy!

So I will believe that there is light at the end of all of this and that eventually it will all be just like this (perhaps with the Bollywood music in the background too!);



In the meantime, for dessert I will leave you a video of one of my favorite cyling playlist songs but The Killers - 
"Mr. Brightside";



So stay well my friends, keep looking on the Bright Side, and I'll see you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment