Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Simple Gifts

A long time ago in a place called Southern Methodist University, a young dance major got involved with the SMU Catholic Campus Ministry.  Often, he and a few of his compatriots would dance at various mass services in a style of dance called "Liturgical Dance".  One of the staples of the repetoire as a Liturgical dance "company" was a tune called "Lord of the Dance".  And no, it has nothing to do with this guy:

(Notice Mr. Flateley's heavy use of mascara and orange self-tanning product)
Rather, it was a tune that is based on a much older Shaker hymn.  It sounds like this;

Alton Thompson / Tao Yuan Symphonic Winds - Traditional USA: Lord of the Dance .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

It still never fails to bring a tear to my eye as I remember what it is about and how the words are all about the divinity of dancing.  It always makes me grateful for the opportunities and the gifts that I have been given in life becuase of dance.  But it in itself was inspired by a much older song, "Simple Gifts"

"Simple Gifts" was written by Shaker Elder Joseph Brackett, Jr. in 1848. It was first published in The Gift to be Simple: Shaker Rituals and Songs. "Simple Gifts" was a work song sung by the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing (more commonly called the Shakers, an offshoot of the Quakers).

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

Refrain:

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning we come round right

'Tis the gift to be loved and that love to return,
'Tis the gift to be taught and a richer gift to learn,
And when we expect of others what we try to live each day,
Then we'll all live together and we'll all learn to say,

Refrain:

'Tis the gift to have friends and a true friend to be,
'Tis the gift to think of others not to only think of "me",
And when we hear what others really think and really feel,
Then we'll all live together with a love that is real.

Refrain:

On Thursday night we open our production of Our Town with an incredibly talented cast of young actors.  They have been working amazingly hard and becuase of their efforts and the message of this show I am becoming more grateful each day for what I have been given in life.  I only wish I could hold on to these moments.

At the end of the play Emily asks the narrator, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they life it? -- every, every minute?"  To which the narrator replies, "No.  The saints and poets, maybe -- they do some."  And since we first began rehearsing this play I've been constantly reminded by those words, only the saints and poets really understand.  The rest of us often find ourselves drifting through this river of life trying to stay out of the rapids.

But in working with the actors on this show I've been more aware of what a blessing it is to be surrounded by young people who are so willing to make a difference in the world.  That is why I chose "Simple Gifts" (sans lyrics) as our curtain call song when they make their bows (and I have to here admit that it was my lovely wife Amy's idea) because of the idea of "'Tis the gift to be taught and a richer gift to learn".  Althought I am "the teacher" I learn so much about myself as a performer each day and though I long for it with a passion, I'm glad that I at least get to guide others as they create art through theatre and dance.

I've also tried to look at my quest to cycle cross country through the eyes of simplicity.  I have been sending out so many pleas to company and corporations and except for the grant from Smiles for Scott, we haven't received any offers of assistance.  I really, really don't understand this.  If all of those people could only see the difference this camp makes in the life of a child with cancer they would understand my need to give this gift.  I'm not asking for the funding to get a $6,000 carbon road bike, to stay in five star hotels, to rent a tour bus, to equip me in the latest cycling wear.  I'm truly asking for help funding me in getting just the basics (I'm using a fifteen-year-old steel frame that I found in the trash as my transportation on the trip) so we can make this a reality.

So, I know I have 44 followers.  I don't know how many of you read this on a consistent basis but for those of you who do, can you ALL help me with something.  Can EACH of us make the commitment to try to get three more people to sign up as followers?  THEN,   can we ALL make an effort to contact at least TWO businesses with a request that they become sponsors for the Cross Country Ride?  They don't have to sponsor much.  I don't need 88 $5,000 donors.  If we all could get ONE $350 each, that would be enough to make this a reality. 

What do you say?  Can you all help?  We are quickly running out of time to be able to give the simple gift of childhood to these wonderful kids.  I will be back on the bike this week pedaling away but I truly need your help, I really can't do it without you.
I thank you my friends.  I thank you for your support, your love, and the simple gift of your friendship.

Stay well and I'll see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment