Friday, November 4, 2011

Back in Black (With a Vengeance)


Okay, so today I finally got on my bike after a week of inactivity.  This was due to a variety of reasons - 1) my little germ monster (William) got me sick with his chest cold; 2) too many errands I had to run to and from (and after) work that I needed to haul things in my car; and 3) excruciating pain in my back which I finally had taken care of yesterday!  I guess you can tell I'm feeling better because I am posting two days in a row!

Well, after my *whispered* "procedure" my doctor told me after laying flat on my back and drinking caffeinated beverages for the remainder of the day, I could resume "normal" activities today.  And for me that means - RIDING MY BIKE!!!!

So, to the strains of AC/DC's "Back in Black";

AC/DC - Back In Black .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

 I started my ride.  And since today I was riding "Black Betty" instead of "The Black Pearl", I next listened to "Black Betty" by Ram Jam;

Ram Jam - Black Betty .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

 And I was pumped!  First off, part of the reason for all the "black" theme songs is that its getting to that time of year when we'll have to set our clocks back for "daylight savings time"


which pretty much applies to everyone who doesn't live in Arizona or Hawaii.

But in experienced this morning's ride I was able to see so much that truly made me appreciate life:  The pinkish blue interspersed with the whispy white of the clouds as the dawn errupted across the sky; the dew dappled grass of the suburban lawns; the crisp breeze as it brushed across my face;  the sight of light just breaking across an American flag in front of the fire station; and even the stench of someone's cigar (how can anyone smoke those things at 6:45 in the morning????) that seemed to linger for 1/8 of a mile as I rode along towards school.  It made me feel so grateful to be alive to experience these things. 

In fact, it made me feel a littel like Mr. Weenie from Open Season as he charged down the hill towards the hunters!!!!   You have to go to about 1:11 to get to the part I'm talking about, "I feel Alive!!!!" (it comes right after, "move your wee pudgy legs!")



And that made me so grateful to be alive - to be able to ride my bike again without much pain and to experience these things again.  For a while there I have been really worried if I'll be able to do the cross country ride.  I was frightened that I'd have to have back surgery that would keep me from riding for six months and not allow me the opportunity to train for the event.

But it seems like the injections work and that after the next two (yeah, I know - YIKES!!!!) should eradicate the problem completely!!!!  I mean some of the old "crunchiness" is coming back for the instability but I don't feel the same kind of pain that I did before.  Of course, that may all change after I spend the night in  a sleeping bag on the floor of The Cradle of Aviation Museum with my twins' Cub Scout Troop!  It could be worse, I could be spending my seventh week of sleeping on the ground and in all conditions at Occupy Wall Street!!!!  I have a friend who has been there for a while (kudos to you Laurelle!) and while I agree with their message, I hope that someone really hears them and acts upon it - sort of like I'm hoping someone will hear me and act upon our mission to cross America on bicycle to help change the lives of eight children!

So that's where we are dear readers.  Its Friday, I'm heading out on my bike to go join my boys for an evening of fun at the Cradle of Aviation Museum, the sun is shining, its 52 degrees and there is a 23 mph wind blowing in from the North (okay, that parts not so good).  But in the words of Mr. Weenie, "I FEEEELLLL ALLLLIVVVVVVEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

So keep the faith, Occupy My Blog, and I'll See You on the Road!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment