Saturday, April 21, 2012

Honorificabilitudinitatibus! - Part Deux

(It's so shinylicious!)
Last week I attended the monthly Town of Huntington Council Meeting and my arrival there found me experiencing an interesting mix of excitation and trepidation on so many different levels.  Let me 'splain.

You see, a few months ago we (I use that to mean Connor's Army, not the empirical "royal" WE) were honored with an article in the Syosset Patch about our (again, I'll explain, I'm not being a royal pain) cross country trip  - http://syosset.patch.com/articles/syosset-teacher-goes-the-distance.  Well, not too long after that article came out, another article came out in a few local papers that are under the Long Islander umbrella - the Record and the Northport Observer. It was a 3/4 page article and it really gave us a lot of glowing compliments.  Since it also is published in the Dix Hills area, one of the Town of Huntington Councilpersons (Susan Berland) happened to read it and decided to honor Connor's Army with a town proclamation!!!!! 

However, also at this particular Council meeting there was also a protest going on in which many of the members of the community were up in arms about the financial accounting of the Town of Huntington and were demanding an audit of the books.  I was excited about getting the award but very nervous about being trampled on by a rampaging group of conservatives!   I sort of felt like my family and I might end up running for our lives like young Simba;



It was so strange walking in to the place and seeing all of these signs saying "Audit the Books Now" with people wearing shirts that say CSA.  Now I'm from the south and to me CSA means Confederate States of America which I'm pretty sure is not longer in existence - except for those guys who do the reenactments;



(It's just like the clip above, only they're moving slower!)  It should be mentioned here that these are not actors who have been hired for a new Ken Burns movie - these gusy do this for fun - and some people think I'm crazy!!!!  Do they do it for the glory?  Do they do it for the prestige (well, maybe), do they do it for the press coverage?  Do they do it fore the town proclamation?  Do they do it so they can be more Honorificabilitudinitatibus?  I think the honest answer to all of these questions is "NO" they simply do it because they enjoy it, it mkaes them feel good, and they have a calling - though I'm not so sure what that calling is.

I don't know for sure though about THIS version of the CSA but I'm highly suspicious of a group that lists as their internet address the date 1776 and state that "YOU represent the only chance to stop the continued assault on the freedom, innovation, and spirit that made America great. Please join with us -- not to TALK about our problems -- but to finally stand up and ACT!"  Its like they are telling ME that I'm their last great hope!



I don't know about you but that's a lot of pressure for me - I'm glad there is another that the CSA can pin their hopes on!

But once I got over the fear of the maddening hordes of CSAers I was able to relax and enjoy why we were really there.  Councilwoman Berland introduced me at almost the end of all the presentations and I was very appreciative of all her kind words.  It was also very fun to see my friend Stephen Jimenez and Councilman Mark Cuthbertson both of whom I haven't ridden with for a very long time.  I extended an invitation to each of them to ride with me again but so far the phone hasn't rung yet - damn!

In a previous post I introduced to those in Connor's Armydom the word Honorificabilitudinitatibus which can best be defined as "the state of being able to achieve honours". Although many of our better words are complete inventions of my favorite playwright and yours - that of course is William Shakespeare - this one, alas, is not (read further down on the link to see). However, its a great word and the longest word in the English language featuring alternating consonants and vowels

But getting back to the reason for this post.  To be honest, I really didn't feel as if I deserved the accolades.  I know I've written about htis before but I'm goin gto put this out there to all of you right now - the accolades really should go to my wife Amy, my duaghter Sarah and her Sarah's Giving Tree, to all of the people who have fundraised for CARAAM (Connor's Army Ride Across America), to all of the people who have given to Sunrise - really to all of the people who are making the REAL sacrifices.  Especially to those kids who are fighting this disease and hoping for a victory every day!!!!  I'm just riding my bike for 3700 miles - those are the people who are truly putting their bodies through hell in order to get better.

Yes, my friends, THOSE are the people who are truly Honorificabilitudinitatibus - they are the ones who SHOULD be receiving awards.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that people are writing about us, honoring us and talking about us and I am trying to do what I can to help the children of Sunrise but without my wife and my family I couldn't do it at all - they TRULY deserve awards. 

Without my wife Amy working so hard to make everything possible, I wouldn't be able to contemplate this cross country ride.  If you want to know the truth, everything wonderful that has happened to me since I stopped my career as a performer (all the awards, accolades, praise, etc.) is really because of her.  Without her there to support me, to raise me up when I'm at my lowest, to accept me (huge San Adreas sized) faults and all, adn to make our life around us possible while I chase these gooses, I couldn't do half of what I've been able to do.  Its said that behind every good man is a better woman - well somehow, someone decided I needed the best, just to pull me out of all the messes I probably would have gotten in without her.

Without my children looking at me with those eyes of love and support - I wouldn't have the strength to get on my bike and train.  When I feel like giving up I remember how proud they are of me that I'm going to do this.  And looking into their eyes and holding them reminds me of how lucky I am that our children are healthy and cancer free.

And the faces of all those who have fought and won, fought and lost, or are still fighting - they all deserve honors and awards, they are the inspiration to keep pedaling.  When I'm cranking up a really steep hill and I think I can't do one more revolution the memory of what they have (or had) gone through reminds me that thsi pain is nothing.

So you see, its all about perception.  I am TRULY grateful for the honors , the articles, and the awards , but it really doesn't feel like it will mean much unless we can raise the money to help the kids of Sunrise - those who are truly Honorificabilitudinitatibus.  They are the ones ALL  the towns and villages of Long Isand should be giving proclamations to. 

But YOU too can be Honorificabilitudinitatibus, by going to this link and giving to help the kids - I'll do the pedaling, it's the easy part!  But you will be truly worthy of honor by helping these kids have the chance to enjoy the kind of life that others do without worry about what tomorrow will bring.
And if you are on Long Island and you REALLY want to help, go to Sarah's Giving Tree and buy some tickets to see 42nd Street  at the John W. Engeman theater in Northport.  Its a great show, a great cause and you'll be making a difference!

I guess in the long run, how worthy and deserving one feels about accolades is all a matter of perception - as is all reality, n'est-ce pas?  And now, your musical dessert - what really is reality?  A fun little video by Jessica Frech;



Stay well folks and I'll see you out on that road (if there really is a road as we perceive it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment