Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Into(and Out of) the Crucible

Miles Ridden Today - 86.47  Average Miles Per Hour - 14.02
 







So as I'm typing this I'm sitting by the pool in Blythe, CA at the Amerca's Best Value Inn watching my children cavort (for the second time today) in the pool.  I haven't bee able to bring myself to join them simple becuase I'm so tired I'm afraid if I got in the water I would just sink to the bottom  - partially out of a need to rehydrate and partially out of the fact that I probably couldn't move my arms or legs enough to swim out of the mess I had gotten myself into.

We knew today was going to be a hard day in the saddle for a variety of resons.  As I said in yesterday's posts we can't assume that any of the legs of this journey are going to be easy, but today was definitely going to be rough for a variety of reasons.

Webster's defines "Crucible" as the following;
cru·ci·ble/ˈkro͞osəbəl/

Noun:

1) A ceramic or metal container in which metals or other substances may be melted or subjected to very high temperatures.
2) A place or occasion of severe test or trial: "the crucible of combat".

Except for the ceramic or metal container part, today was a real crucible in both senses of the word.

I woke up at 5:00 this morning preparing to try to get on the road by 5:30 in an attempt to beat the heat.  The forecast was for temperatures over 110 degrees by mid day so my hope was to try to et into Blythe (86 miles away) by noon or 12:30 at the latest.  Alas it was not to be!  The terrain and the heat were more of a melting place than I had anticipated and although I made it to the end, it was just barely.

The ride started well enough, there were a few rough patches of road (read my post from yesterday for a detailed account of why that was a potential problem), and by 6:45 I had covered about 16 miles - I was right on target!  It was the second hour that started the crucible heating up as I pedaled through the Imperial Sand Dunes Preserve and hit the first of the big ascents for th eday.  It wasn't anything like Sunday's climbs but the heat was already climbing and the road was baking.  Here is what the dunes look like;

 
And so you know that I didn't just download these pictures from some random website, here are the front of said dunes;
 
 
The plan was for Amy and the kids to follow me on my route and catch up to me, hopefully before the halfway point.  One good aspect was the fact that when I got to Glamis the store was open so I could refill with the most expensive bottle of water ever.  I guess when you're the only thing open for 20+ miles around you can charge what you want.  The lady was nice enough but they didn't have a bathroom there (which I found odd) and it was about then that I started needing to go.  So, instead of lounging about, I ate an energy bar and pedaled off into the desert.

The most unfortunate part of the day was that much of it was a heat hazed blur of pavement.  I really wish I could have enjoyed the scenery more but the day was spent climbing up and down "rollers" and in the heat it really didn't make for a very conducive setting for my bowels.  I passed the U.S. Navy Aerial Bombardment range (sadly, no jets flying overhead), the Chocolate Mountains (they really DO look like chocolate) and I finally came up to the Border Patrol checkpoint.  "Finally!", I thought, "a place to go to the bathroom".  I asked the nice officer about the possibility of using the facility (I mean, I was on a bicycle and not about to smuggle any fruit into or out of the state) and he replied, "the only facilities are in the lock downs".  Now I wasn't sure if that meant I could use one and get out or that the only way I could use one is if I was in lock down.  I've never seen the show but I was pretty sure I didn't want to be - besides they looked like big metal storage containers and in this heat it would probably have killed me just to take a bowel movement!

So I headed out once again (after draining half of the ice water in the bladder) to face more rollers and more heat (which was rising again at a steady rate).  Just when I was afraid I was going to run out of water, Amy and the kids (my calvary to the rescue) came driving up 32 miles from Blythe!  I drank half a gallon of water, refilled my water bottles and bladder, reapplied sun block and headed out in high hopes for finishing up in two hours.  Alas, it was not to be.  I hit more rollers, more heat and ran out of water right before Palo Verde.  Fortunately the kind lady in the store let me refill my water bottles with ice water for free.  I also finally found a bathroom - 50 miles later!  I only had 11 miles left to go!!!!

Which took me an hour.  I had hit the proverbial wall and it was all I could do to keep the pedals turning.  Before Palo Verde I started this little motivating game in which I would take a drink every time I hit a mile mark.  It did make me pedal faster and helped to regulate the water supply.  Eventually, with the heat blasting me in the face constantly like an open furnace I made it to the environs of Blythe.  As I got closer I could see fields of melons ripening on the vine to my left and irrigation canals stretching to my right - I had a fleeting fantasy of grabbing a melon, cracking it open and leaping into the canal to eat it.  I would probably be arrested on a variety of charges so I decided against it.

I finally limped into Blythe where I proceeded to shower, stuff my face and then joined the family out by the pool for the first frolic session.  Amy then went to the land of enchantment (otherwise known as KMart), and I went back in with the kids to take a nap (which never really happened). 

On the way into town James called a "Pit Stop" (the former Short Stop previously written about) at the bowling alley just outside of town.  Since it was closed untl 3:00 now was the time to go.  We played two games (I won both, despite the fact I could barely lift the ball I was so tired) and then headed off for dinner at the local Pizza Hut.

Fortunately, right next store was the famous Rebel's Bar-B-Que;


And after some negotiations we got everyone into the restaurant for an amazing meal (much better than the Pizza Hut that we WERE going to before we found RBBQ).  I had the most amazing brisket sandwich ever and everyone else had tacos (okay, not Sarah and mama) and salads (everyone).

Then back to the hotel where I am now ensconced watching the kids frolic.  But its been a long day and I have a 63 mile ride full of climbs ahead of me tomorrow - with more heat!!!!!

And now the reports;

FFR - 1 Squirrel, 1 Pigeon, 1 Sparrow, 1 Fox, 2 UFO's
RRL - 7 coolers, 5 separate cooler tops, a hard hat, a marketing notebook  for a company orientation session, a rubber over boot, a mattress (don't ask) and a bumper.

Well, that's all I can report today.  I will try to be more aware on the road tomorrow.  It will still be hot but its shorter so I should finish two hours earlier (with any luck).  And again, remember this is for the kids so spread the word to all you know - let's support them.  For in the long run, what I went through today is nothing compared to what they go on every day in trying to fight this damned disease!

Stay well and I'll update you from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment