Tuesday, May 1, 2007

National Bike Month

Hooray, Hooray, the First of May…..Riding to Work Begins Today!

Yes, I began National Bike Month with a great ride to work. It was one of those days when the temperature is just right and there’s no breeze - just a perfect day to ride.

Last Sunday, the Town of Huntington sponsored a kick-off to National Bike Month. They set up some stations at Huntington Town Hall to help promote the upcoming month and to encourage people to ride their bikes to work. When Steve Jimenez from Councilman Mark Cuthbertson’s office called to ask if I’d like to participate, I was both flattered and excited. And I was especially pleased when I found out that representatives from both the Huntington Bicycle Club and Adam’s Cyclery were going to be there.

Chuck Adams is one of my most enthusiastic sponsors and I say again to any of you out there reading this - GO TO HIS SHOP! He and Darren are really knowledgeable about road bikes and he’ll go out of his way to help you. He’s really one of the best sponsors a guy could have.

Anyway, about Sunday.

We were there for about three hours and no one showed up - not one single person. And it was cold! However it wasn’t all bad. I got to hang out with some great guys and talk about bikes. And I rode over so I got a good bike ride in and even a boring day on the bike is a great day! So despite the disappointing turn-out, I really enjoyed the day.

As far as my progress goes, when I start this month I’m at 776 miles and counting. I’m hoping to hit 1200 by the end of the school year so the fall isn’t so bad - although if I hit 2500 that’s okay too!

So, get out there and ride your bike this month!

Peace to you all and stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment