Thursday, August 2, 2012

"I Said a Boom, Chicka-Boom" - Cycling Thunder Style!

(Face the Wrath of Lego Thor - God of Small Thunder)
 Today's Mileage - 91.64   Average MPH - 13.8

Today I started out the ride with very mixed emotions that seemed to run me through a roller coaster and all before 10:00 in the morning!  I got up early today as I usually do (which is either 4:30 or 5:00 am depending on the length of the ride) and got prepared to go.  I was really excited to start today simply because I would be riding for the Thunder Boys and Girls - they're our third graders and so enthusiastic about everything, it really is a joy to have them at camp.

Yesterday, my friend Deanna (who also happens to be the Assistant Dirctor of Sunrise Day Camp) sent me a sound file of the kids doing one of their morning spirit chants - Boom Chicka Boom.  If you don't know it, it goes something like this;

(groups repeat each line after the group that leads it or the leader - usually Deanna)

I said a Boom Chicka Boom
I said a Boom Chicka Boom
I said a Boom Chicka Rocka Chicka Rocka Chicka Boom
Uh huh
Oh yeah
One more time ______ style.

At the end they all shouted, "THANK YOU GENE!!!".  The first time I heard it I cried - good thing I was sitting down and not riding my bike at the time.  As I went through my morning preparations, I went outside and listened to it again to get me motivated for the day.  Again, it made me cry just from the sheer joy of their infectious exuberance.  I was ready to face the day!

Sarah and I were once again crossing another state border - it has sort of become our thing to do. Only this time, the only way to cross the border was to ride the ferry from Cave-in-Rock, IL to, well, I'm not really sure where, but it was somewhere in Kentucky.  Sarah and I were psyched up to get started to ride for Thunder today and we made a short video but due to technical difficulties it won't load.  I'll try to get it up again tomorrow.

And once again my darling cycling partner was a complete trooper and clmbed some steep hills - she has now conquered at 16% grade and she is turning into quite the cyclist.  We worked our way into Marion, KY and went to one of the local gas stations to get some refreshment while waiting on Amy and the boys to get over from Illinois.  While waiting Sarah discovered the fourth "Pirates" movie for sale.  Once Amy caught up with us we bought it and Sarah decided she wanted to go on for just five more miles so she could reach 200 miles overall - SHE'S HALFWAY TO HER GOAL!!!!!

So we went out on the road again and here is where the emotional rollercoaster spiked way up - ATTACK OF THE BUBBA DOG!  As we were rolling out of town a large dog behind a fence starting barking agressively at us and looking like he was trying to get out.  Now for days I have been hearing (and reading online) about the agressive dogs in Kentucky and how they are the bane of cyclists on the Transam trail.  From where I am it looks like the gate is open and I'm watching this dog and getting my pepper spray ready.  Oh yes, I bought pepper spray because at this point I'm not going to take any chances - especially not after hearing that Ariel (the cyclist we met yesterday) was bit I've decided to spray first and explain later.  I love dogs but not at the risk of my duaghter or me!

So as I'm watching Bubba Dog on the right, a small Jack Russel Terrier runs across the street (ignoring his owner who is standing in the front yard) and right at Sarah!  She speeds up and the dog gets way close to her left foot and her rear tire!  I sprinted to catch up and the dog went across the street.  He then looked like he was going to come for me and I shouted at the owner, "I WILL spray him if he comes again," to which the owner replied, "Oh, he ain't gonna hurt you".  A verbal exchange ensued as I pedaled to try to catch up with Sarah who was totally freaked out!  I calmed her down and we went on for our last five miles.

Sarah settled in and breezed through her last five miles as Amy and the boys finally caught up with us.  We loaded Sarah's bike up and got Amy and the kids back on the road to do some sightseeing in Marion.  And my emotional rollercoaster went to a new place - nerves on edge for the next three hours!  We've already had our dog scare for the day so I'm on edge for the next one.  I've been warned about the dogs and as I ride I am constantly scanning the yards, the barns/garages, and everywhere a dog may come at me.  I'm constantly checking my pepper spray canister to make sure its ready to go.  And every single house I come to I repeat the drill.  I actually had a bit of a scare when I came up to a bridge and there was a dog standing in the middle of it!  As I rolled forward the dog trotted forward towards me.  Just as I'm getting ready to have to spray him he trots off to the side of the road and into the field - whewww!!!!!

The rest of the ride was spent this way except for the forays into towns to get more water and the occasional munchies.  Amy and the kids finally catch up to me 23 miles from Owensboro and we share some of our fruit stand peaches.  Then it was back on the road for the final push!  As I was refueling in my last stop of the day (Utica, KY) a man at the station told me the temperature had gotten up to 102 degrees!  He said he didn't want to know what the actual road temperature was - I told him hot!

And finally I was in Owensboro!  I checked in and waited for my family who had gone off to a museum (it was a museum day for them) and I got myself a bit more human (i.e., cleaned and showered) while waiting for them.  They came in and told me all about their day.  We then headed off to refuel at a local bar-b-que where they had an all you can eat buffet that was AMAZING!  If you're ever in town, go to Moonlight Bar-b-que and have your fill - but stay away from the Burgoo - you don't want to know what's in it!

Right now I'm watching the season finale of "Chopped" with the family and digesting.  Tomorrow is a long day in the saddle for me as I'm riding 96 miles to Cave City, KY.  But I'll be propelled by the power of Lightning - Sunrise's Lightning Boys and Girls that is!

And I'll also be riding for my aunt-in-law Sue Gudeon who will be starting a new protocol in her battle with pancreatic cancer.  So tomorrow is for Sue and the kids - I will be putting all my energy and prayers into helping them in their fights!

And now, for the older among you (little ones don't look!) one of my favorite bands of all time - AC/DC!



And today's report;

FFL - 6 Possums, 1 Rabbit, 1 Racoon, 1 Deer, 2 Squirrels, 1 Dog, 6 UFO's
RRL - 1 Bag of Purina Puppy Chow - I kid you not!

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment