Friday, August 3, 2012

Striking Twice on the Way to Cave City!


(For Sunrise Lightning and Sue - KaChow!!!)
The saying goes that lightning never strikes twice in the same spot. One of my favorite episodes of Mythbusters was the one where they tried out different myths related to lightning.  I don’t remember if they were ever conclusive about striking twice but I do know that today I had the chance to strike twice in my efforts to help those fighting cancer. Today I was riding for the Lightning Boys and Girls of Sunrise Day Camp and for my Aunt-in-law Sue Gudeon.

For some reason today was a very difficult day to get started. I’m not really sure why it was more difficult but it just seemed as if I couldn’t drag myself out of bed. It wasn’t the particular luxuriousness of the bed (it was a Super 8 in Owensboro, KY) but last night it started raining, thundering and lightning. Although I thought it most appropriate since I had just ridden for Thunder yesterday and I was riding for Lightning today I really didn’t relish the idea of riding in thunderstorm. When the rain started up again at 3:30 I made an executive decision and decided not to head out until 7:00 just to make sure it had passed. It really was so hard to motivate myself to get out of bed when all I wanted to do was stay snuggled up between my boys and sleep until we all woke up. But I had a particular mission today, one that had me striking twice against this disease that has ravaged so many so I just had to tell myself to suck it up and get my tuckus out of bed.

I was also riding solo today since after looking at the route profile we saw there would be a lot of killer hills in the first twenty miles. It was a good thing too since I hit a couple of grades of 23% or more. I also knew I would be off the map since I would be following a Google Maps route instead of the ACA maps I have been following most of the time. That combined with my concern over the Bubba Dogs coming after her and I just thought that it might be better for me to do this one alone. I do feel guilty though since she is now at 200 miles in her own riding goal and really wants to hit 400 by the time we get to Sunrise. Watching her slowly transform into a cyclist has been such a joy. She is constantly remarking about her new found musculature, especially her thighs, She’s even starting to get some really ripped calf muscles - once I’m able to get her a better bike she will be hard to keep up with!

So as I meandering through the Kentucky countryside my thoughts were on the people I was riding for today. I may have mentioned it before but part of my daily ritual on the bike is that I say a rosary every day as I ride. I don’t actually use the beads (according to one internet source that’s allowed and hey, its on the internet so it must be true) since that would make steering, braking and shifting hard but I really try to direct my prayers for the group (or individuals) for which I’m riding. I want to send as much positive energy to them as I can.

The first group I was riding for today were the Lightning Boys and Girls of Sunrise Day Camp. I’m going to have to admit something to you all right now. This group of boys and girls have always been one of (if not THE) my favorites in the camp. The reason is simple, they are the same age as my twin boys William and James and as I play with them at camp its like playing with my own boys. Whenever I have a problem trying to motivate them in drama games I try to think about what would motivate my own boys. This has held true for the last two summers as I’ve tried to create situations for improv or theatre games that would catch their interest. And not just the boys but the girls as well. Getting the chance to play with them over the last two summers has always been such a joy and I really miss them this summer. Don’t get me wrong, I really do love all the campers (and how can you not love the Acorns, especially when they plop down in your lap and snuggle) but this age group has always been one that has made me laugh since I know exactly where their humor comes from. I had originally wanted to share some videos with them about some turtles I had saved today but due to technical difficulties with the camera those will have to be uploaded later.  The first was of a baby turtle that was smaller than my hand.

Actually, that was the second turtle I was able to save today.  The first one was a Common Snapping Turtle that was 15 inches long and about a foot wide.  He tried to snap my hand about six times as I carried him across the street but I was able to get him there without serious injury to myself.

I was also riding today for my aunt-in-law Sue Gudeon who was starting a new protocol today in her battle against Pancreatic cancer. I’ve written a lot over the years about my family’s various battles against cancer. It was what started the whole idea of Connor’s Army in the first place (go to www.connorsarmy.org for the whole story). I’m happy to say that most of my family has won their battles although I just lost my uncle Hill two weeks ago as he wasn’t able to keep fighting the disease. I hadn’t seen him since my childhood but I know that in the last few years my father had gotten closer to his brother and it really made me feel for my dad that he was losing yet another sibling to this disease. He has gone to far too many family funerals in the past few years and most of them because of cancer.

But today was for Sue and in the hopes that she will win her own battle. We have walked with her and Uncle Arthur in the Lustgarten Walk as part of Sue’s Crewsers and we will continue to support her as she faces this new protocol. But today I did what I do - I rode. Whenever I really felt like the hill was too daunting I would think of Sue and I would think of my Lightning Boys and Girls and I remind myself that this ride was for them and my discomfort is nothing compared to what they face in their treatments/protocols. And it can never be comparable to anything they go through - no wind, no rain, no lightning, no heat, no humidity can ever compare what they go through.

So I ride for them and I tuck my head down against the wind that is blowing in my face and I muscle up the hills and I’m grateful that I can have the chance to do this. I’m grateful that I get to come into contact with people and spread the word about what an amazing place Sunrise Day Camp is with them. It is my hope that of the hundreds of people I will have spoken to about the camp some will feel the calling to make a donation and help make a difference in the lives of these kids.

After the initial rush of hills the rest of the ride was pretty uneventful except for the fact that it was hot and long. Oh, and the score has changed against the Bubba Dogs. I wrote yesterday about how Sarah had been harassed by the little yappy Jack Russel and how the owner just watched it happen. From that moment I decided that if the dog crossed into the road, and especially if they came from the opposite side and got to the yellow, I would pepper it. Just outside of Mammoth Cave National Park a young boxer and an older dog came out of their yard and chased into the road after me. I kept shouting, “stay”, “back”, and “no” but they kept coming so I let them both have a bit of the peppery experience. I didn’t catch them full in the face, just enough for them to get a good whiff of the pepper spray. They both pulled back sneezing and snorting and that gave me just enough time to continue on my way. So the score is now Bubba Dogs 1, Connor’s Army 2. With any luck I won’t have to spray again.

I finally made it to Cave City only to discover I had passed the Rock Cabin facility about five miles back. I only discovered this because Amy called me to see how I was just as she was passing me. She came back for me and we went back to the cabin so I could get cleaned up before heading off to dinner at one of my favorite places - Cracker Barrel!!!!! I don’t know why but I love their food and I get the chance to play the Tricky Triagle game.

After a great meal and desert we headed back to the cabins to watch the Olympics. And now its time to hit the sack and get ready to explore the largest cave system in the world - Mammoth Cave!

And the daily report;

FFR - 2 Turtles (I was too late), 6 possums, 5 raccoons, 9 frogs, 1 cat, 9 UFO’s
RRL - 1 cooler, 1 bag of groceries (someone will not be happy)

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!


For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment