Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another Month Bites the Dust

Well, here we are at the end of our second month of the journey. I’ve only logged another 75 miles since the last blog installment, mainly because the weather has been wet and freezing. I know I said the cold wouldn’t stop me, but riding on ice on skinny tires sort of puts a damper on things. We also had vacation for a week and even though I rode, I don’t count those miles in the grand total.

We’ve added another couple of hundred dollars to the total and we’re up to $3650 - well over a third of our goal!

The rides have been up and down, mostly due to the fact that it’s February and blustery; and riding against 15 mph wind gusts sort of stinks. I just duck my head and keep cranking. It lowers my average mph and my average time but it really doesn’t matter - I just remember why I’m doing this.

On a personal note, as I mentioned in the last blog the boys just had a birthday. They’re now in the fearsome fours (okay, I just made that up, but it fits). Sarah is just as smart and beautiful as always. We’ve been working on her Invention Convention project and we’re very excited by all the response she got to her “Biker Helper” which is basically a sort of removable umbrella to put on your bicycle for inclement weather. She said she wanted to help me with my Connor’s Army project. I may have mentioned before that she also wants to help by doing her own bike-a-thon riding ten miles between the house and the park (not all at once mind you); and setting up a lemonade stand during the hot weather. She really is an amazing little girl.

Speaking of amazing girls - my wife has been incredible in all of this. She really is much of the driving force of Connor’s Army. On top of running a local performing arts series and handling the confusing schedule of three kids, she’s taken on the management of Connor’s Army full force. She pursues donations and sponsorships, and handles all the PR. She’s secured all the great press we’ve received so far through her press releases. I’m even scheduled to do a podcast with Militarybrat.com. They’re interested in the military connection and my upbringing as a military brat and how that ties in to what we’re doing now.

Next up in the Connor household - Sweet Charity at the high school! For those of you who are actually reading this and are in the area it’s going to be a really good show. The dates and times are: Thursday, March 15 at 7:00; Friday and Saturday, March 16 and 17 at 7:30; and Sunday, March 18 at 2:00. The cast is talented and really excited, and the show will be amazing. I’ve waited a long time to do this show and it was well worth the wait.

Show week also brings the logging of more miles. I try to ride in as much as I can so we can take one car back home at night - Amy designs and creates the costumes for all my school shows, and Sarah will make a “guest” appearance in the opening scene of this one! We keep it all in the family. It’s hard to believe it’s been ten years here at SHS. I never thought we’d be where we are today.

I’ll probably have another entry in the next week, until then stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment