Friday, February 2, 2007

Happy Groundhog Day!

Well, I’m now into my second month of the battle, and I have to admit I’m a bit off the pace/goal of 200 miles per month. I had bronchitis, which kept me off the bike for a couple of weeks and then we were hit with a string of bad weather. Last Sunday was the first time I was able to get on the bike in about two weeks.

I went on a ride with the “A” group of the Huntington Bicycle Club, and got my tail handed to me on a platter!

I did pretty well for the first 48 miles, especially given my extended break from riding. Unfortunately, when we got to what I thought was going to be the very last leg of our ride (at which point I was already lagging behind) the group turned off in a different direction and I think mentally that did me in. I just didn’t have any leg left.

I think had I been in better health (I had to take a few hits on my asthma inhaler during the ride) I might have been a little better suited - at least I could have hung on a bit longer. One of the other riders, Paul, was very nice and came back for me; and stayed with me the last six miles of the ride. I was just spent. I felt pretty bad about holding him and the others back, but they were in good spirits about it. I’m just too stubborn to quit.

My goal now is to go on an “A” ride and not get dropped! It’s something to shoot for.

As far as the ACS ride is going, I’ve become more and more convinced that my erstwhile base line of 28 degrees should not be an absolute. Yesterday I rode with a beginning temperature of 25 degrees and it was great. If I can find the right clothing combination I’ll keep going lower and lower in the temperature category. I guess the main thing that has me starting in this vein is that I’m 100 miles below my target mileage at this point and, more importantly, because one of our dear friends is going through chemo right now.

From everything I’ve read about chemo, one of the things you get - aside from the nausea - is the feeling of coldness that seems to come from inside and makes your bones ache. I feel that for 12 miles I can deal with numb toes and fingers because its nothing compared to what my friends and so many others are going. No, it may not make me a more competitive rider with the “A” group, but right now the main thrust of my riding is trying to log miles to battle this disease. My wife and I can’t afford to give the money we’d like to in order to help the people I love and the ones I’ve never met; but I can give this. So if it’s a little cold - oh well.

For those of you who’ve been getting the word out - keep it up. We’ve already raised $3300, and the more we get the word out, the more we can bring in to fight this disease!

And for those of you who want to “gear up” for next year, start getting ready for the Victory Ride on January 1, 2008!

That’s it for now, peace and health to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment