Thursday, February 8, 2007

With Apologies to Monsieur Dickens

To paraphrase one of my favorite authors, “It was the best of rides, it was the worst of rides”.

Ordinarily I set my riding threshold at 28 degrees or thereabouts. I have gone down to 20 on occasion but usually I stick to around 28. Today was different. The temperature when I woke up was 15 degrees and the wind was gusting at 10 to 15 mph - giving it a “real feel” temperature of close to zero. Add the fact that I’m riding at about 16 - 20 mph it was, well, let’s just say it was cold.

However, I had a real reason to ride today. Our friend Michele was scheduled for her last two hour session of chemotherapy today. I saw her on Sunday at the birthday party for the boys (at the Northport firehouse followed by pizza at Michaelangelos - they were in total heaven!) and she was looking good. While talking to her she mentioned that today was her next session of chemotherapy and I told her that, barring rain, I would ride for her.

I have to say at about halfway through the ride, somewhere around Lennox and Pulaski my toes felt like big rocks in my shoes. I had bundled up everything, even wearing my balaclava and heavyweight ski gloves; and everything was pretty warm - except my toes. I even had the old standby of wool socks and plastic bags underneath my neoprene shoe covers - but my toes were still pretty frozen.

It was just about this time that I started thinking, “Am I crazy?! Why am I out here in this?”

Then I though, “This is nothing compared to what Michele is going through today, what my mom went through to have all of her cancer removed, or what my sisters have gone through.”

Just thinking of these brave women and all the other people I know who’ve faced their various cancer battles gave me the answer to my question. Yes, I am a little crazy; but I knew exactly why I was out there.

I have to tell you it’s not easy to ride in that cold when you have tears freezing to your face.

Right now I have 125 miles and we’ve raised $3400. We’re getting great coverage in the local press; but Connor’s Army still has a long way to go in both mileage and funds. Sometimes it seems daunting but every time I wonder about why I’m doing this I just think about Winnie, Angela, Tamara, my mother and Michele; and I have my reason to keep cranking down on the pedals.

Peace to you all and stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment