Wednesday, March 31, 2010

To All of Those I've Taught Before

So in 1984 singers Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson recorded a duet entitled "To All the Girls I've Loved Before" (see it here at http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8228835) and it ended up being the number one country hit and became Iglesias' signature English language song. I remember thinking at the time "Julio I can understand, but Willie? How many can that be? Five or six?" Yeah, I know he was a hard-living country star so it was probably hundreds but still, you had to just look at him next to Julio to think, "huh?"

Well, that song has been going through my head as I have been dealing with David's passing. I really didn't broadcast it so much at the beginning, I just wrote about it here on my blog but I've been finding myself responding to dozens of e-mails, texts, and facebook postings wishing me well and offering their condolences. It has been uplifting, wondrous, humbling and a blessing all at the same time. I truly am at a loss to explain it all. I won't embarass anyone by quoting them but I honestly can't understand it.

I'm getting e-mails and messages telling me how much I changed their lives and how much they still think of me and how much they are praying for me or are willing to listen to me if I need to talk. To be honest, I'm not sure how I've inspired so much in all of you. I've just tried to be the best dance/drama teacher I can be. I haven't always succeeded and there have been times when I really feel that I've let you down. However, all of the love and support you have been giving to me in the last few days have really made me more determined to be a better teacher to all of you. You have all changed me (for good - okay, couldn't resist the Wicked reference) now and forever. All I have tried to be is a good teacher to you all and you have now taught me what it means to make a difference, for you have truly made a difference in my life when I desperately needed it.

My father (who I think is the best teacher ever) was my inspiration for what it means to be a craftsman. As a career military man he wasn't ever going to get rich doing his job or get publicity or any other particular accolades. But he was good at his job and he was the consummate professional. He taught me that doing a job well and being able to look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and know that you did your best is all the reward you can expect and that should be enough. It's not self-deprecating or defeatist - its just the reality that you can't expect the praise of others. You have to do your best at whatever you do for the intrinsic satisfaction of knowing you tried your best. I've tried to follow his example. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't but I keep trying.

However, you my students - all that I have taught before, am teaching now and those I may teach in the future have given me the greatest gift a teacher could ever receive - the knowledge that I have made a difference in you life. For that I am eternally grateful to you all, to you "All the Ones I've Taught Before".

Stay well my friends, I'll see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment