Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Riding in the Rain, Just Riding in the Rain

Okay, so maybe its not quite as etertaining as that great musical theatre classic tap number;

And I do have to apologize, since for all of those purists out there this is sacriledge! However, trust me, if Gene Kelly had thought about it, there is not one of those moves he couldn't have done. He was an amazing dancer, my idol and one of the greatest thrills of my entire life was the week I got to drive him around Dallas when he was there for his series of lectures about film and dance at SMU. I even got to go on a "double date" with him for the big gala reception with the high society of Dallas. It's a long story and maybe someday I'll chronicle it all. Needless to say, at the beginning of the week I was nervous to be in his presence, by the end he was telling me war stories of his time in the Navy during WWII. So I'm fairly certain that had he thought about moves you see up there, he would have put them in. However, for those you more pure about your classic movies here ya go;



But I have really digressed. What I did today instead was "Riding in the Rain". I don't know why I just felt like I had to ride today and it was raining so I put on the rain jacket, took a spare (read dry) set of clothes and headed out. So while it wasn't quite this bad;

I did manage to get thoroughly soaked to the skin. But it was worth it! It was so much fun! It wasn't too cold and I actually had one of the best rides ever! You always see those signs that have cute little sayings like, "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work". Well, I have to say that it REALLY applies to cycling.

Then after school my film crew (Daniel, Dan Kahn and Phil) worked on the video submission for the Bicycling.com "Win Any Bike" contest - http://video.bicycling.com/contests/5K2KDZ3D8QTR7Z8G?cm_mmc=Bicycling%20NL-_-2010_03_11-_-contest-_-win_any_bike_2010 . You see, last year I did an honest and direct plea from the heart for a new bike so I can have something that will help me on my cross country ride next summer. I don't want anything incredibly fancy, just something that is going to help me get over the mountains and across the plains. However, I didn't even make the finals. What ended up winning was a slick rap-style video that was clever but it still made me think that the winner was only wanting a new bike for his own narcissitic purposes. Okay, here's the part where I reveal I'm not really a nice person - yes I was jealous! Even if it wasn't my video, there were a lot of people making appeals on the basis of various altruistic reasons and wishing to raise money for various charities. The winner got a bike because he wanted to look good.

So this year I enlisted the help of my potential Steven Spielberg types and I asked them to take charge of the filming and post production of the one minute video. So yesterday I rode around the parking lot for about 20 minutes while Dan, Phil and Dan filmed me (Dan Kahn even ran beside me filming while I rode very slowly...very very slowly). I'm sure its going to look amazing because they are the dream team behind a bunch of great promo videos for the theatre program here at SHS. Now, again I don't need anything fancy - and indeed Chuck Adams at Adams cyclery has told me that he could help me get a great price on a Trek cyclocross bike - a 2009 model from the distributor. However, I don't even have the money for a down payment to put it on lay away (ah, the life of a public teacher) so I'm hoping I can win one from Bicycling Magazine. That will take one part of the logistics for next summer's ride off of my check list and I can then focus on getting the RV, gas cards, camping and other items donated by sponsors - but first, THE BIKE!

Anyway, then it was off for home - with the 20 mph cross winds! Woohooooooo!!!!! I may have been slow but it was fun. I even managed to catch and pass another cyclist on the way......but I'm not racing!

So stay well and I'll see you on the road - and maybe someday it will be on my new bike as I train for the cross country Connor's Army tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment