Friday, June 25, 2010

I Have Been Changed

So today I was going to write about how I beat my best time ever to get to school - saving the best for last. I rode like the way in to school today was a time trial and I rode like the wind, only to be slowed down on my favorite descent past the Cold Spring Harbor train station because the cars ahead of me were going too slowly.

And then we had our last day faculty meeting. I have sat through these for thirteen years now and I always find myself wondering what would I ever say when its my turn to retire. Well today was no different although in reality I'm probably fifteen years away. However I found myself very emotional today, more so than I usually am. Part of it was the emotions of those retiring. The open tears and the held back ones as well. Three people who have helped shaped who I am today as a teacher gave their speeches - Rich Mancini, Rich Collins and Dr. Jorge Schneider.

Each of these gentlemen have shaped me as a teacher and have had a lasting impact on the program I run and as a result on who I am as a teacher. It was odd sitting in the audience and being singled out by both Rich Mancini and Dr. Schneider for special recognition. I really didn't expect it nor do I feel I truly deserve it. With Rich Mancini I am truly losing one of my main collaborators and one of the people that has helped me develop the production values of our theater program into the astounding productions for which we are known.

However, there were two of the speeches that touched me the deepest. The first was from Dr. Schneider. Truly if it wasn't for his vision and his support of the arts as an important part of the overall education of a person I wouldn't have a job and I wouldn't have the enviable position of being able to work with the most amazing students at Syosset High School. My job is truly a blessing because I get to work with students who are passionate about what they do and they push themselves to the utmost for a few short performances baring their souls in front of complete strangers. And they do it with total abandon and trust in me that I will not make them look foolish. To be able to walk into the Little Theater every morning and see their faces and hear their voices is truly a gift and makes me love my job every day. Again, without Dr. Schneider and his vision I wouldn't have this job so his departure truly left me in tears.

His speech centered on change and that as sad as it is, change is necessary to keep us growing and reaching our potential, otherwise we become static, dull and boring. There is a quote I once came across that goes something like this, "Change has a bad reputation in our society. But it isn't all bad — not by any means. In fact, change is necessary in life — to keep us moving ... to keep us growing ... to keep us interested . ... Imagine life without change. It would be static ... boring ... dull." And that is true. Even the loss of a loved one, and I've had too much of that this year, causes change and it is a change that can help us to grow if we let it.

The second speech that had a major impact on me had less to do with what the speaker said than what he facilitated. Chuck Gleason has been my across the hall neighbor for about nine years now, every since I moved into my new digs. Today he moved out and they started moving in one of the school psychologists in his place (and he did make a few "digs" to that effect). However, at the end of his speech he had some of his SADD Improv kids perform two songs - Jason Lederman and Ally Cohen performed "Everyone's A Little Bit JAPpy" which is a parody of "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist" from Avenue Q (what do you call a parody of a parody by the way) and after that Brittney Rutigliano and Ally Cohen performed "For Good" from Wicked.
Original Cast Recording - For Good .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine


I was in tears for so many reasons, not the least of which one of my students who has changed me for good was singing it. You see, all of you students (and I hope some of you do read this) have changed me and it has been a continuous process since the first day I began teaching here. I think back to some of the faces in my memory and some of the amazing performances you have gifted me with (this year especially) and I know I could leave the profession today and be full of pride in what I've done with you. But more importantly you have taught me the importance of trust, of joy, of love and of support - particularly this year. The love all of you have given me the last thirteen years and the love you have showered my family with has changed me. Your yelling at me for what you thought were bad casting choices have changed me, your thanking me for my good casting choices that your EARNED (you should know I never make pity casting a practice) have changed me, and your amazing performances because you ultimately have trusted my casting choices have changed me.

As I sat there listening to Brittney sing so beautifully the faces of all of you from this year stretching back the last thirteen years came across my vision (no, I didn't quite get 'Connor Face') but I saw you all clearly - as you were then and as you'll always remain in my mind.

At this year's ACT Banquet (hosted by Dan Incalcaterra and his family in their gorgeous new home - thank your mother again for me Dan) I was going to sing for the kids a song that I quoted at the ITS induction. Its a song by Garth Brooks called "The Dance" and once upon another lifetime I filmed a karaoke video for it that I know is circulating because my wife saw it when she was in a karaoke bar in Akron, Ohio but I can't seem to find it on the internet.

Instead, I leave all of you former students, 2010 graduates as well as 1997 ones the following song and instead of the lyrics "holding you, I held everything" replace them with the lyrics I was going to sing "teaching you, I had everything". I miss you all my friends, for you have changed me for good.

Garth Brooks - The Dance .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine


Stay well my so many friends and I will see you on the road - someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment