Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mr. Mom!

Okay, so through the years some people have said I bear a resemblance to various actors. There have been Michael J. Fox; Or Gary Sinise;
Or even Michael Keaton: I really don't see it. Okay, with the haircut maybe a bit of Michael J. Fox or Gary Sinise but I think its either the haircut or the fact that we're all vertically challenged. To be honest, I'm nowhere near as good looking as those guys as you can see from the photos below;
Although my wife and kids look fabulous as they always do! They obviously have all the good-looking genes in the family.

Anyway, Amy was busy today selling our family possessions as she took part in a community garage sale. We loaded up the cars and got everything (including the kids) into the cars and at the site by 9:00 - even breaking mamma's cardinal rule of no food in the Subaru! Of course, this created conflict as the kids "helped" unload and saw so many of their "favorite" (yet unused for years) toys. We finally talked them down "off the fence" and got them back into the cars to go home and assault the day - and what a day it was!


Let's see, the boys had a pool party and we prepared by singing this song over and over;
The Aquabats - Pool Party .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

But in our joyful musical rendition, we also had work to do - because both Sarah and the boys had games today! I know Amy doesn't think I "get it" (her daily routine and her daily planning of the assault of the day) but I really do get it. In a sense I felt like Michael Keaton in that great movie Mr. Mom. I only wish I had a trumpet so I could wake the kids up like this;
How much fun would that be? The kids' rooms don't look like this but their playroom sure does!

Well we got everyone and everything loaded up and the boys to their party. I got them ensconced in their swimwear and gave them instructions not to go into the deep part of the pool, left instructions with the lifeguard on duty and took Sarah to get her photos taken before her softball game.

We got Sarah there and got her registered for her photos. I stayed around until I knew there were other people there and she would be okay to start (which I really hated because I was going to miss her team playing The Golden Nuggets - the best team in the league) and then I had to go back and supervise the boys at the party.

So after about 45 minutes at the party with the boys I had to trundle them away (at least they had a chance to eat cake) before I had to get them back to fields because THEY had a baseball game. So, I drag them away (under duress), take them back to the field and change them in the bathroom at the field. Now, from start to finish, all of this has taken about two hours and change - wheeewwwwww!

So I get the boys to their game (did I mention I'm an assistant coach? I have the hat and the shirt so I guess I'm official) and we get them all lined up and ready to go. Fortunately, because it was a Saturday chock full of birthdays, conflicting soccer games, and other fun events the other team only had five players so the innings were quick. However, before we even finished Sarah was there saying her team had TIED the best team in the league! She would have been the winning run but another player was thrown out on a forced run to second - it was that close and I missed it!

So we all went and got ice cream to celebrate at one of the two competing Mr. Softee trucks (its like a school of sharks I tell you) and we went home to prepare the house because on top of it all it was movie night!

At the end of the day I was Mr. Mom - I got all the kids through their day, no one got seriously injured, the house was cleaned up and we all had dinner and a movie! The joy of raising kids!

That's it from the Connor house, and I promise another cycling blog soon.

Stay well and I'll see you on the road REAL soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment