Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Lap of Luxury

So, this weekend we had the second in our installation of Organized Manhood as Amy had made reservations for us at the Long Island Hilton in Melville, NY.  We drove to the Hilton after first dropping off the parts I had bought for Betty at Adam's Cyclery;


I had upgraded my bike by the amount the insurance company gave me to replace the original parts and then finding better parts for the same price online.  Some of it was e-bay and some of it was various online stores but I managed to upgrade from a 9-speed drive train to a 10-speed and I ordered a compact crankset for the front.  Now I just have to wait for Darren to call and tell me that Betty is back and that I can pick her up!

But I digress.  After dropping off the parts , we then headed off to the Long Island Hilton to spend 24 hours in the lap of luxury - okay at least be able to eat, sleep and play without worrying about cleaning up after ourselves.  This was the site that greeted us as we planned to live it up (at least in the boys' minds);

We then proceeded to our room;

Hilton Long Island/Huntington - 2 Double Beds
Where I discovered something disturbing about James - the organizational gene is apparently genetic and James has it.  As soon as we got into the room James decided we had to unpack and pronounced, "I love unpacking in the hotel room."  A phrase that I have heard my wife utter on many occasions!  Brrrrrrrr.

We then headed out to the pool.  Unfortunately, as we are in the midst of a cold spell here on Long Island (I think it was about 75 degrees and a little breezy) it was too cold to stay outside so we headed indoors to the "heated" pool;

And its here that I discovered that my sons are definitely aquatic animals!  I would be underestimating the time if I said we spent four hours in the pool.  Between the pool and the hot tub (which James fell in love with) we were there from about 2 in the afternoon until about 6 p.m.  We then headed upstairs to get changed for dinner.

We had a nice relaxing GUYS meal where we ate lots of red meat (okay burgers) and the boys had sundaes before we headed upstairs to play games on the television (as they had no family friendly movies the boys cared to see).  We finally fell asleep about 11:00 (shhhhhh, don't tell Amy).

In the morning the boys were excited about the most amazing thing the hotel has to offer - ROOM SERVICE!  They were besides themselves with the facts that they could order food that would be delivered to our room and we could eat in our pajamas.  Now, our room overlooked the courtyard restaurant and I could see the all you can eat breakfast buffet down below which I tried to entice the boys to try - unfortunately the novelty of rooms service won out.

After another two hour session in the pool we finally packed up and headed home where we lounged around like true men (shhhhh, don't tell Amy) and had fun just chilling in the crib.  Ahhhh, manhood!

Stay well, it won't be too much longer till Betty's on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment