Monday, August 9, 2010

Organized Manhood

So Amy and Sarah left on their Amazing Alaskan Adventure and has left the boys and I to our own devices, sort of.  I'm sure on their return she'll be posting oodles (and honestly, is there a mathematic equation to determine how much is in an oodle - sort of how much is in a bushel or a peck) of pictures and videos of their adventure.  Now, granted she leaves on this vacation with a great deal of excitement tempered by trepidation.  You see, when she started talking about this (and before she broke the news to Sarah that our lovely daughter would be accompanying her on this journey) the kids and I began planning our two weeks of "manhood" - The Adventure of Being Men.   Of course that has since changed since Sarah is now going on the trip.  But of course Amy is still nervous.  I'm sure she expects to see something like the following on her return;
With us rooting around somewhere in the middle of this trying to find more pizza. 

So, before her departure, Amy reverted to her old super-hero identity - Virgo Woman

or as she was won't to be known in her younger days (particularly the Seven Brides days), "Julie the Cruise Director";

In other words, we have Organized Manhood - an oxymoron if ever I heard one.  So we have lots of planned activities for the two weeks she's gone just so we don't fester watching tv and eating pizza off the floor.

On Friday night we did something that James has been wanting to do for months - we sang "The Rainbow Connection" at the open mic night.  The boys were adorable, they sang together so well.  I of course was intimidated by all the amazing talent around me - its what I get for being a closet musician.  However, I find I do better when I'm with others since I can focus on them and less about how much I suck.

Saturday kicked off the the first of our "Manly Weekends" by going to the Baiting Hollow Scout Camp weekend ( Baiting Hollow Scout Camp Site).  Our pack had gone about a month previously but it was on a weekend that was going to be incredibly hot and thunderstorms were predicted so we elected to postpone it until this weekend instead and it was a good thing we did.  I just wish someone would have told us that meals were included and that we couldn't park anywhere near the actual place where we would pitch our tents.  As a result I bought food, a small barbecue grill, charcoal, ice and packed the entire car with more stuff than we ever would need.  Our poor Subaru was completely overpacked for three people on an overnight.  Of course in all the packing - I NEGLECTED TO PACK THE CAMERA!!!!!!  Sooooo, I picked up a disposable at the campsite and as soon as I get those developed I'll add them here.  However, I don't know when that will be.

Suffice it to say, we had a great time.  We rode paddle boats, we hiked, the boys got to shoot bb guns (they got they marksman badges), archery (again, their archery badge), and we went to a great cermony at night.  Then of course, I found out that the batteries in all my flashlights were low because someone had been playing with them (hmmm, wonder who) and so we stumbled back to our campsite.  After a great bonfire with s'mores and little cocktail weinies roasted on a stick (yum!), we play the boys favorite card game (UNO!) and fell asleep.

The next morning we had breakfast and the boys started the day by climbing this;
James made it all the way to the top (by the way that is 40 foot of tower) and William made it about 30 feet.  The last 10 feet the hand holds were just too far out of his reach.  We then went to the archery and bb gun ranges again, hiked some more and loaded all our stuff in our car for the ride home.

On Sunday we attended the birthday party for one of the boys in their cub scout den and it was at one of their favorite places - Larkfield Lanes!  What a great way to start our first weekend of Manhood!

Well, we have more coming up.  I won't be riding for a while since I can't really do it while the boys are at home alone.  But the biggest reason is - MY BIKE STILL ISN'T FIXED!  I KEEP CALLING BUT I GET NO RESPONSE.  If I don't hear anything by Wednesday I'm calling a supervisor but until then I'll be patient.  Till then, its being manly that is our calling!

Stay well and I hope to see you on the road someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment