Thursday, December 23, 2010

Starting a New "Century" - Closing in on a Goal

Okay, so it's not exactly the route that I'm hoping to take next summer but it's pretty close!  Actually, the route that I'm hoping to take this summer in my ride for Sunrise Day Camp follows this route pretty closely but then when it gets outside of Washington, DC we'll head north for Swedesboro, NJ (Angel and Per), Verona, NJ (Mark and Laura) and then head over to Wheatley Heights, NY to end up at the camp.  This route will come to us through the Adventure Cycling Association's maps that they offer on their website.

Yet, with this posting two things are happending.  The first I "talked" about on Tuesday, we are no in our second "century" of postings as this is posting 101.  When I started blogging four years ago I never thought I would be able to continue this long as I've never been very good at keeping up correspondence (sorry Danielle and Emily, I do have e-mails coming your way) or been very good at reflective journals  (sorry Dr. Maurer) but I have been able to keep blogging.  There have been stretches where I haven't blogged for months or only two a month (witness the month of July) but recently I've found a way to keep a little more updated.

The second goal is one that I'm not sure I'll reach but I'll give it a shot.  As of today's ride home I have a combined 2,785 miles on my bicycles.  I don't know that I'll be able to get in any long epic rides over the break (I think about three would do it) but I'm going to give it a try.

You see, my goal this year was to ride 3,000 miles and try to do so in all weather.  My accident really threw me for a loop and I didn't get much riding done then and I was a little on the wimpy side the first part of the school year more often than not finding an excuse for not riding in the morning.  Then I was sick with some sort of upper respiratory issue which knocked me off the bike for another week and a half.  So I lost some time.  I think without the bike issue and the respiratory thing I would be well past 3,000 by now.

But stuff happens and sometimes, as we saw in the following episode of "Mythbusters", when it happens the excrement DOES fly everywhere (WARNING, FAST FORWARD TO 10:27 TO AVOID SOME REALLY DISGUSTING STUFF);



Well, I don't think it will hit the fan if I don't make it the last 215 miles before January 1 but I will be bummed.  But if we look on the bright side of life and remember the glass is always half full then there shouldn't be any problems at all, right?  At least very few (c'mon, name what children's "novel" that is from you Seussical fans!).

However, I am finding more and more ways to use my bicycle and make it more of an every day part of my life.  I've also been "in training" in a sense in that I'm trying to ride more, even if the weather conditions are a bit "adverse".  For example, I've been riding in 20 degree weather no matter now breezy.

Well, today I took on a new challenge.  Traditionally (well, at least for the last 14 years) I make it a point to bring in Dunkin' Donuts and Munchkins to my dance and acting classes.  Today was to be no exception but for the fact that I was riding my bike (Pearl to be exact) in to school today.  I was going to need to transport five dozen donuts and three boxes of 50 munchkins.  With a little preplanning (I went into a DD and borrowed a couple of boxes to "measure") I figured that it would all fit in a standard milk crate with some bungee cords and elastic netting.  So I got to school where all the equipment was stashed, loaded up the crate, cycled to the Syosset DD (I got a few strange looks but mostly from people in their Mercedes SUV's), purchased the sugary goodness, loaded up and rode back.  No one was around to take a picture when I first got back so i had to wait until I changed into my festive attire and it looked a little like this;

I sent it to Amy and a few friends and their common retort was, "you look like a lumberjack who is moonlighting as one of those Chinese food delivery guys in the city."  Well in honor of all of you and of the holiday vacation coming up I leave you all with this little video clip, enjoy;



Well, even though I am going to wear spandex (and not women's clothing) I'll be cavorting with me pedals while wearing lots and lots of layers! Wish me luck and here's hoping I make it to 3,000!

Stay well and I'll see you on the road (but probably without the donuts!)

1 comment:

  1. Great posting! My father and I is planning to take a bicycle tour to those places just to reminiscence his old days when he was an army. Now he is a veteran and my treat to him is to take him there with bicycles.

    ReplyDelete