Monday, December 6, 2010

365 Days of Christmas....uh, Chanukah......uh, Chrismukkah!

Okay, I admit it - I'm a big wuss!  Maybe its my Irish sentimentality or its just becuase I love the holidays but I always get very teary-eyed around this time of year.  Of course, it may also be because my usual temperature cutoff for riding is 15 degrees and it is often very cold so you see me doing this on occasion;


(Brakes, we don't need no stinkin' brakes!)
 That in itself is enough to cause you to tear up - that wind can be downright brutal!  I mean, I know my cycling compatriots in Minnesota live with it constanly but we're not so hardened to the elements out here.

But I think I mainly tear up because I love watching the holidays through my children's eyes.  I do love the season and I think my wife (the little Long Island Jewish girl) probably loves Christmas the most out of the family.  She decorates the house in such an amazing way and it always looks so festive when she does it.  She has the decoration down to a science and, I dare say, an art.  She is always so organized with all that she does and usually by the first night of Channukah, she has all of her present shopping finished for the entire season. 

This year we had our friends Carla and Rita over with their sons Sean and David for the first night of Channukah last Wednesday (and yes, I know I'm a bit behind but then I wouldn't have all this great material!).  She spent the day making about three pounds of potatoes worth of latkes and we all had an incredibly wonderful feast of fried tuber goodness.  After that we played the traditional Connor family game of "find the Channukah present" and the kids received what they proclaimed to be "THE BEST CHANUKKAH PRESENT EVA!!!!!";



Now, I don't know if its the best EVA, but it was a lot of fun.  And to think we still have almost the entire roll of bubble wrap!  I can already see many snowy days full of fun as we sweat to pop every last bubble on the wrap!

But the real treat so far this holiday season (and its only just begun) was this weekend.  We had a WEEKEND OF CHRISTMAS to start the Christian part of the season.  On Friday Amy decorated the house while we were all off at school (and a fabulous job she did at that).  We came home to find all the old familiar decoration up around the house and it was just the thing to get us in the holiday spirit.  We had a family movie night that night and we started the fire.

On Saturday we started the part of decorating that the kids had been waiting for - THE TREE!!!!!  Every year we choose a theme and this year the theme was silver and white.   We drank copious amounts of egg nog, played Celtic Christmas CDs and decorated the tree.  We managed to only break one ornament!!!!!  We then lit another roaring fire and enjoyed watching the movie Deck the Halls with Danny DeVito, Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenowith.  As much as I don't really like her, it was an entertaining movie.  Oh yes, we also (okay the family, since with my braces I still can't) ate copious amounts of fresh, home made pop corn.

Then it was off early Sunday morning to catch the 11:30 Radio City Music Hall Christmas show starring the world famous Rockettes!  The ride in was easy and we listened to 97.5 FM which broadcasts all holiday music all the time now - 24/7 (or as Jake from "Too Many Men" would say - "31!")  The traffic wasn't too bad but we got into the city so early, none of the street vendors had warm chestnuts ready -- arrrgggghhhh.  So much for "The Christmas Song"!

We got into the hall and watching the kids be so amazed and intrigued by the decorations and the sheer expanse of the lobby was so much fun to watch.  Especially Sarah, our decorator/artist in training.  She really enjoyed all the paintings and the huge mural of "The Fountain of Youth" that is above the stair case.

We finally settled into our seats after cooling our heels for a bit outside and it wasn't long before we were able to watch the show.  I have to say I had almost as much fun watching the show as the kids (and it brought back memories of going to the dress rehearsal to watch Deanna and all our other friends who were lucky enough to be cast in the show back when we were still active in the business).  William's all time favorite number was of course;
Go figure, pretty girls, "soldiers", wooden cannon - what was not to love?  This is of course from the boy who didn't want to go to see the Christmas show - but then again he hardly ever wants to see or go anywhere and then when he does he always says, "I didn't like it ---- I LOVED IT!" and of course this was no different.
But the number I hardly saw at all because I was watching William completely enthralled to the point that I wasn't sure he was even breathing was:

I truly teared up as I saw the look of rapture on his face the entire time this number was on.  He looked simply angelic and the look on his face was one of pure adulation for what he was seeing.  All I could think of was, "this is what Christmas is all about!"   Sure, we can go to mass and sing the songs and listen to the story of the baby Jesus, but it is these moments when we see our child really GET it that we know what the season is truly about.  And it made me think - this is what we need - 365 DAYS OF CHRISMAKKUH!  If every day could just be about this magic and this joy and helping make sure that our children's eyes are as full of this wonder and joy as we can help them find in the world around them.

After the show we wandered around looking for lunch and finally settled on Lindy's where we had great pastrami sandwiches and of course, the cheesecake.  We then headed back the Radio City for a backstage tour where we got to go all over, including up to the light booth to see the show from the highest vantage point.  It was a little weird being up there since that's the floor where all the rehearsal studios are housed and Amy and I both have so many memories of auditioning for various shows (not just RCMH) there.  It was a little weird.

Following that great tour (William was in heaven as he had his picture taken with a real Rockette) we finally got our roasted chestnuts and we headed for;
(So this is Christmas)
We managed to weave our way through the crowds so the kids did not see the tree until we came upon it from the front and the kids' faces were a joy to watch as they screamed, "THE TREEEEEE, I KNEW IT!!!!!!).  The only problem that we ran into (other than the crushing crowds and three members of our party under three foot tall) was that right before we got to where we could take a great picture of the kids with the tree as the background we ran into;

Now if anything is going to detract three Connor children from a huge Christmas tree it would be that.  Soooooo, we allowed ourselves to be swept into the revolving door


And we were instantly transported into a magical (although crowded) land of legos.  It was all we could do to dissuade the young Connor's from purchasing more Lego products (they have a ton and I'm sure Santa will bring them more) but their little faces were pressed against the glass as they saw this;

The squeals of delight could probably be heard by the dogs in the Hamptons!  Finally we were able to get a good photo of the three of them with the tree in the background and we headed back to the car.  On the way we heard two songs that really help bring this Chrismakkuh weekend to a great ending.  The first I'll include the video version for those of you who have never heard it;


Of course you can tell the song is dated by the celebs to whom it makes reference - but its still funny!

The second song was even more poignant when teamed up with all that the day had offered and it goes something like this;

Gloria Estefan - Christmas through your eyes .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

But the perfect ending to a perfect Christmas day was driving back to the vision of our home decorated for the holidays, all lit up and welcoming.  And the season has only just begun! 

But the day also reminded me of why I want to ride cross country.  Just as Chrismakkuh is a great season for the kids to experience, so is the summer and the joy of playing and being a kid during this long vacation.  I really do want to make a difference for these kids and I'm hoping for my own Chrismakkuh miracle - for some more sponsors to step forward and offer to help us help these kids!  That would be the greatest gift of all!

Stay well and I will see you all on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment