Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Even Rode My (Bi)cycle In the Rain.......You MAY Be Right, I May Be Crazy!

Okay, so it wasn't quite as heavy a rain as that yesterday but it was raining hard and the fact that I had left school at 4:10 meant that by the time I got to Huntington Station it was quickly getting dark.  By the time I got to Lennox Avenue and Pulaski (yes, the memorable intersection where I experienced my first time being hit by a car while cycling) it was pretty dark and I was lamenting the fact that I had not used the second headlight on the bike.  Instead I was relying on the blinking light on the front and two blinking lights on the back - just to be seen.  And the whole time I'm thinking, "I must be out of my freakin' mind".

Now you have to understand, I'm not a native Long Islander and I did not grow up listening to Billy Joel.  I really only like his music at all because of the show Movin' Out and that was really because of the Twyla Tharp choreography.  However, as I found myself pedaling along in the dark, in the rain and hoping some overtired executive hurrying home from the train station while texting/calling/fumbling/"curating" his/her cell phone would not hit me and kill me by swerving into the shoulder, I kept hearing this song over and over in my head;

Billy Joel - You May Be Right .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

It's not that I actively hate Billy Joel, I just don't get the whole East End ethos and the whole Long Island music scene he developed from just doesn't strike any chord with me (pun intended).

However, if I had seen this before, another song might have been running through my head, one that I saw performed by the "amazing" performers in this "incredible" (note the air quotes) video;



All I can say is that I wish I had choreographed this one!  Just imagine getting all those everyday cycling types to wear white, glow in the dark "booty" shorts!  I think I'll pass on wearing those myself, I'm more partial to black ones myself.  But they do shine mighty nicely don't they.  However, I do still have a few nightmares after seeing this video.

Speaking of music videos about bicycles and cycling, I did come across this great video while reading the blog of the Bike Snob at http://www.bikesnobnyc@blogspot.com/ and it just goes to prove that rap music can help save your life;

Now that is proof that music can make a difference.  I have to say that after my three experiences with bicycle versus vehicle I won't ride without one, I'm actually incredibly amazed when I see adult cyclists without helmets.  Is it uncool to wear helmets?  I know it is with the hipster crowd but are the typical suburban "hobbyists" too cool to wear helmets?  It would appear so.

Another thing that still amazes me are the unfriendly cyclists I still meet when I'm riding.  Now granted, I have taken to riding Pearl these days more and more.  Partially becuase she is the one that I'm hoping to ride from San Diego to Long Island should (I pray to God) the cross country ride actually get the funding we need.  She looks a little less like a cyclocross bike now and I've "winterized" her and "blinged" her out commuter style with a rack and I've put on her Planet Bike fenders so that she looks more like this;

So does that make me uncool?  I guess it does because with the exception of the usual day laborers that I meet on the road (and who usually seemed surprised that this commuter waves to them) nobody returns my gestures of friendliness.  Well not "nobody" there are the occasional one or two but when I see my fellow "roadies" going the other way they seem to studiously not see me.  That's just sad.  I mean here we are fighting the fight together - you know, us against the ton and a half metal beasts that want to hit us - and they don't want to acknowledge their fellow enthusiast.  I guess they're still cooler than me!

Well, I guess that's enough rambling for one day.  My wife would have said not to try it but I made it home alive and that's all part of the fun!  Now if I can only make it home alive from San Diego, CA (sponsorships willing) then I'll be a very happy man - and a very blessed one as well!

Stay well, Pearl (or Betty) and I will see you on the road - soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment