Sunday, September 26, 2010

To Those Who Think They're Cooler Than Me!

So on Friday I was riding my bike home from work and I was having a GREAT ride!  I was really humming along and Betty was really feeling her oats (okay, a bit much on the analogy I admit).  I guess I should say I was feeling MY oats.  I was flying down the road enjoying the sunshine and the feel of the wind rushing by.

On the other side of the road I saw another cyclist approach me on a really fantastic looking bike.  I was going to fast to really see what it was but he was decked out in the latest stylistic cycling wear and looked like he was really something.  Being the cyclist that I am and still reeling from my summer experience (not to mention the fact that with my hands on the top of the bar I can see my scar rather clearly) I waved to my brother-in-arms in a gesture of solidarity.

NOTHING!  Not a wave, not a flick of the left hand, not a nod - just NA-DA!  WEll, in the words of the amazing Steve Martin - EXCUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE  MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!


(And of course if balloon animals are not funny to you and you just want to get to the punchline, fast forward to 3:13!  How's that for instant gratification!)

This, unfortunately, happens way too often when I'm riding.  Personally, I make it a point to somehow wave or gesture to almost every rider I pass in the other direction to give a little show of solidarity, whether it be recreational cyclists, cyclists out training, commuters on thier Jamis hybrids, or the day workers on their Walmart mountain bikes.  To me, its important to realize that we are all part of the same cycling community AND WE ARE THE MINORITY!  There are people out there who rant and rave about how we are at best a nuisance but some feel the the best place for us is under cars and  threaten us with other bodily harm!

With that in mind, I would think that as cyclists we should acknowledge this solidarity and this common bond even if it is only the Texas pickup truck version of the hand flick (which if you don't know is a barely perceptible but nonetheless palpable signal that you have been acknowledged by the driver in the opposite lane).  I guess the issue is that for some cyclists if you are not wearing the most expensive Assos cycling wear or riding one of the world's most expensive bikes then you are below their notice.  I guess they truly think they are cooler than us;

Mike PosneR - 01 Cooler Than Me (Main) .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

As some of you may know, I am a somewhat avid follower of the Bike Snob and recently in one of his posts I was able to read the Bike Snob's lament (which is not to be confused with Adelaide's Lament which my wife performed amazingly when she played the role a few years ago) in which he waxed rather plaintively (of course he would be a bit nonplussed and give his seal of disapproval to the use of the word plaintively) on the rise of cyclists riding extremely expensive bikes without a clue as to how to properly operate them or even fix their own flat tires.

Now, it goes to say that I'm not a bike snob, I still ride the Frankenbike known as Pearl to work on occasion and I'm not embarassed to be seen operating her.  However I do get a bit miffed (slightly higher on the umbrage scale than nonplussed) when other riders seem to make a point of ignoring your friendly gestures.  Does it really effect their streamlined aero position that much to give a slight flick of the hand?  Will their cadence be thrown off by the energy it takes to nod their head to a slightly different tempo for a nanosecond?  Will their über expensive cycling togs ride up uncomfortably in their arm pits if they lift their arms in a gesture of friendliness?  Inquiring minds want to know?

So for now, I will just continue to remember to enjoy the feel of the wind on my skin as Betty (or Pearl) and I carve our way through the air on our way home and I will wave as I to other cyclists secure in the knowledge that I am strong enough to overcome the minute time deficiencies caused by my gesticulations.  And give me half a chance and I'd pass you up, but I'm sorry, I'm going the other way.  And that's all I have to say to all of you who think you're cooler than me!

Stay well and I'll see you on the road.

P.S. - PLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE ENCOURAGE ALL YOU KNOW ON FACEBOOK AND OTHER SOCIAL NETWORKS TO JOIN AS A FOLLOWER TO THIS BLOG - WE'RE TRYING TO GET UP TO 500 FOLLOWERS!  Hey, there's only two more days of Shameless Promotion Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment