Monday, September 20, 2010

Betty is READY - But Steel is Real!

Okay, so today I tried a little experiment.  I rode in today (since I can't tomorrow, because the dreaded Admin classes start up again) and I decided to ride Black Pearl
Okay, not THAT Black Pearl, the one you see in this photo;
Yes, indeedy, my once and future Frankenbike is still my backup ride and I have to say, she may be the one I take cross country.  Why, you ask when I've been salivating/lusting/longing for the return of Betty?  Don't get me wrong, I love my Betty and I love the sleekness and the newness of her but Pearl is just more forgiving and comfortable.  You see, STEEL IS REAL - it can be easily replaced in the middle of Pennsylvania somewhere (you know, emergency welds, that sort of thing) and its much more forgiving with the road shock.  Also, if I end up having to go self-supported and put on fenders and panniers I have the eyelets for doing that.

It doesn't mean I love Betty any less (yes, I can feel her feelings of perceived rejection emanating from the basement in a truly palpable sense) but I also want to save the wear and tear on her.  Pearl will go the distance I think and I can even put on my bar end shifters, get a compact crankset for the front and upgrade her to 10 speed and be able to handle the Colorado Rocky foothills around Mesa Verde.  I'll still need to find sponsors (maybe Bontrager) to supply me with tires and tubes and maybe some other bike shop/company to supply me with any other bike materials - but the big thing is we are starting to plan.

Admittedly, we are starting a little late in the planning.  I don't think we fully realized that this was possible until after Amy had her trip to Alaska.  We also weren't totally sure I guess because we weren't sure if I would feel accepted or connected to Sunrise.  We I do and I really want to do something to help these kids!  So we're going to approach everyone we can initially to help sponsor us either with materials or funds to see if we can get everything together.  We will then start all the press releases and then see if we can set up the link on the Sunrise website through Amy Pilott so people can begin donating directly to Sunrise.

I don't yet know how this will affect the yearly Victory Ride.  It may mean that I have to take more of a backseat on the ride this year so that I'm not "hitting up" eveyrone I know for donations twice in one year.  For now, I just need followers to log in on the blog.  We need to show potential sponsors that they will get some exposure on their site.  So again, I beg all of you who read this to sign up as an official follower if you haven't already.  E-mail/facebook your friends and explain what I'm trying to do and encourage them to follow me as well - they don't have to read it, just "follow" it.

What do you say gang?  Can we give it the old college try to help these kids?  Pearl thinks we can!!!!

Stay well, I'm on the road again!

No comments:

Post a Comment