Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Holy Town Proclamations Batman!

Okay, so I’m flabbergasted beyond belief!

Remember way back last month when I wrote about how I was asked by Huntington Town Councilman Mark Cuthbertson to help him and Huntington Township kick off “Bike to Work Week”? Well, last week I got a call from Steve Jimenez telling me that the Council wanted to award a proclamation to me at the next Town Council meeting. I figured it was either for the “Bike to Work Week” ride, or for the Sunday I spent with Chuck Adams and Huntington Bicycle club promoting “Bike to Work Month.” Steve told me it wouldn’t take long and when I asked if I could bring the family he said sure.

Tonight when we got to the meeting there were lots of kids being honored for a spelling bee competition in which they scored very well. It was great to see a large group of kids being honored for being smart and accomplished. I figured that everyone else from the ride or the promotion would be there, but I didn’t see anyone.

Then they called my name and as I went up Councilwoman Glenda Jackson read a proclamation in front of everyone praising my efforts with Connor’s Army. I couldn’t believe it! Steve had told me that Councilman Cuthbertson was really impressed with my efforts and was behind us all the way, but this was something else! It was so unexpected and I was truly touched. It belongs as much to everyone supporting me as it does to me.

In addition, the councilman has also put his money where his words are and has supported us with a very generous donation. I have to say that I’m proud to live in a township where the elected officials care so much.

Afterwards the family and I then went to celebrate at Ben and Jerry’s. We had fun getting lots of goopy ice cream and watching the people going by. It’s a great thing to be able to share these things with my family because I want them to remember that we’re not alone on this earth. We’re here to help others any way we can. Some do it by making laws, some by writing books that change the way people think, some by giving lots of money, some by teaching, some by using their bodies to make a difference. I’ll never make laws or write a book that changes the way people think, but I hope by using my body to raise money to give to ACS I can make a small difference to help others. I want my children to see that example and to see that we’re part of a bigger family - one that we need to help no matter where they are. And that when help is needed by anyone, it’ll be there for them.

Well, that’s all for now. See you on the road.

Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment