Friday, June 1, 2007

A New Ride is on the Way!

Okay, so if you’ve been following my blogs you know I’ve been really putting myself into this. Each time I hear about someone in my life battling this disease I’m more inspired to get out and ride. I wish I could afford to just give $10,000 on my own. If I had it, I would give billions of dollars to fight this disease. Not only so my sisters and my mother won’t have to deal with it anymore, but so my wife and my children and everyone’s families could be protected from ever having to worry about it. I really hate this disease!

For all of you supporting me you’ll be glad to hear that my efforts are going to be a bit easier going forward - I’m getting a new ride!

My Diamondback hybrid (go back and check out my very first blog for all the specs) has been a great ride, but a “performance” machine it’s not. Oh, it’s very solid and has a forgiving ride; but it’s heavy, especially on the hills. If you read my May 23rd entry you know just how heavy it can be. I’ve been through a variety of parts on my meager budget (okay, I do a lot of scavenging and even some dumpster diving) to try to optimize this frame; but it’s still heavy.

So when people began asking what I wanted for my birthday I asked for gift cards from PerformanceBike.com. You see, I’ve been saving up for a while and I had a 10% off coupon from buying my cycling jerseys (which were printed up by Nelson Quimby of ElsoGraphics and look great btw). I’ve been keeping a covetous eye on a Scattante frame they sell, and I’ve watched the price fluctuate from as low as $199 to as high as $299. Well, it finally came back down to $219 and, with the help of gift cards from my very generous wife and family, I went for it!

In a few days a medium-sized, GLOSSY BLACK, compact race frame will be delivered to my door! I can’t wait to shift all my parts over and get the fit fine-tuned so I can ride up Stillwell even faster and easier.

I’m now at 1,078 and the miles are rolling by. My deepest thanks to each and every one of you who has given your support - not only with donations and sponsorships, but through your prayers, your well-wishes, and your spreading the word of what we’re doing.

Peace to you all and stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment