Wednesday, June 20, 2007

How Sweet It Is!!!!

It may not be the 2007 special edition Trek Madone but I’m in heaven!

I finally finished putting all the parts on my new Scattante frame Monday night! I couldn’t ride it on Tuesday because I had to stay for the ACT Spring Showcase and ITS (International Thespian Society) Induction Ceremony, and it’d be very late and dark by the time I came home. My wife hates it when I ride home late at night so I generally don’t ride if I’m going to be very late at school.

But boy was I itching all day to get on that bike!

The kids who performed last night were wonderful! I’m very lucky as a teacher that I get to spend my days - and afternoons, evenings and sometimes weekends - with such good kids. They’re caring and generous. Many of our contributors are either current or past ACT members. They’re really a part of our family no matter where they go in life. It’s strange to think that many of the faces I saw last night were performing for the very last time at SHS. Tonight they graduated, and soon they’re moving on to the next part of their lives. I’m going to miss them in September as I greet the new students. I’ve gone through this every year for ten years now, and it never gets easier.

I was a bit nervous when I rode out this morning because I wasn’t sure how the new ride would perform and if there would be any appreciable difference to make the change worthwhile. I also wasn’t sure if I’d dialed in all the adjustments correctly, and if I’d fine tuned all my shifting and braking adjustments right. I didn’t want to be stuck on the road trying to make major adjustments.

Not to worry, though, Black Betty was a dream to ride. Yes, I know I had also called my last bike Black Betty; but I figure if BB King can call all his guitars Lucille, then I can call all my bikes Black Betty.

She’s so much easier going up the hills, and I can almost feel myself flying on the roads since the down tube and top tube have aerodynamic tear-drop shapes. Supposedly aluminum is a stiffer ride but I didn’t notice that much difference - I guess it’s a result of the carbon fork on the front. She shifts well and I feel good on her. The only thing that bothered me is that there’s a slight amount of toe overlap. It really shouldn’t be an issue unless I make a quick, sharp turn at slow speed when my feet are in the three and nine o’clock positions so I guess that’s okay. I ordered a medium frame and the label on the seat tube says it’s a 54, so at my towering height of 5’6½” I don’t think I really could’ve gone with a bigger frame. I’ll just have to be aware of it when I’m rolling slowly. Other than that she’s a beaut!

So if you happen to be on Pulaski and you see a black, white and yellow streak - it’s probably me logging more miles for ACS. I won’t be put off if you holler encouragement!

Stay well and I’ll see you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment