Friday, June 15, 2007

Just Another Day in the Saddle

I really don’t have much exciting to report write now, but I wanted to give you an update on mileage and money raised so far.

The ride is going well and my endurance is getting better. The ride is getting easier each day (most of the time) and I can pretty much depend on getting to school in well under 40 minutes. I’m fairly consistently averaging 19+ miles per hour on my commute, so I’m really getting the hang of it. On the way home I try to go up Snake Hill Road with its killer hill as much as I can and I usually average about 9-10 miles an hour up that hill. For those of you who know it, that’s not bad!

And now for the big news …

The new frame arrived yesterday!

However, as much as I want to, I can’t yet switch all the parts over. I’ve installed the new Bontrager select seat post and the Shimano 105 brakes, but I need to go to my good sponsor at Adams Cyclery (if I haven’t said it enough before, you need to give them your business - they’re absolutely the best service and help around!) and get an adapter for my front derailleur. My old frame uses a 25.4 derailleur clamp and the new one is larger so I have to get a new derailleur clamp before I can finish switching everything over.

We got good news about Randi’s mother the other day. She seems to be responding well to the treatment and the doctors are optimistic about her prognosis. Our friend Michelle is also responding well to her treatment. My sister Angela also is getting positive news in her check ups, and she and her husband been told they can start trying to have a baby so we’re very happy for them.

Although the riding is just another day in the saddle, I’m constantly reminded that the money I’m trying to raise is going to help our friends and even people we don’t know get better, and to aid in the research that keeps them hopeful.

The mileage so far is 1,215. I’m hoping in the next week - the last week I’ll count my mileage until September 5th - to try to squeeze in another hundred miles and end with 1300. I guess I’ll take the long way home a few times.

Stay well and I’ll see you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment