Thursday, May 6, 2010

Doing Your Part to Save the World

Okay, so today I'm riding my bike to work and I'm having a great ride (despite the killer crosswind) and I'm thinking about how incredible it is to be able to do this. It really is one of my favorite parts of the day and it does clear my head of all the crazy things running through it.

Then I go onto CNN.com and I see that I should be proud because I am doing my part to help John Lequizamo save the world:


I mean, c'mon - Sid the Sloth needs our help and who are we to deny him in his time of need?

Yes, I'm being facetious if you haven't already figured that out. Why is it that the only time places like CNN think it is worthwhile to cover something as important as biking as a way of life is if a celebrity does it? What about all the other commuters out there who've been doing it for years? The same thing annoys me about Bicycling Magazine. In the latest issue (I think we're up to June on the stands now) they profile Laird Hamilton. Now while I think he's the gnarliest surfer ever why is it that they don't profile a more normal person - like the ones I pass all the time on my way to work? Or Dhani James, linebacker for the Cincinnati Bengals;
http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-3-12-22441-1,00.html

Its the same all over, a cause isn't worthy of consideration unless a celebrity does it. You can raise a ton of money if someone famous endorses you. Its enough to make you want to get someone like Justin Bieber to promote Soft Toilet Tissue Awareness Month to see if people will get up in arms about the quality of their toilet tissue. Or even better, perhaps he can be a spokesperson for the Perils of Lactose Intolerance;


Forget about meeting him - unless it is YOUR opportunity to stand next to him and help People with Lactose Intolerance everywhere!!!!
What is it about our society? No wonder charities are having such a hard time meeting their operating costs and being able to give aid to those in need.

Yes, its National Bike Month but go out there and ride your bike because YOU want to, because YOU want to make the environment better - but not because a famous person tells you to be like them.

So, I will see YOU on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment