Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Conquering the Continental Divide!


Today's Ride - 61.2 miles

So yesterday was a rest day and it was the first time any one of us had ever been up in a hot air balloon.  For Amy it was a lifelong dream come true.  There was one brief moment when we weren't sure it was going to happen simply because we kept having communication problems with Mike (the captain/operator) from Rocky Mountain Balloon Adventures.  It was a great experience!  We got to help set up the balloon (or envelope as its called) with Sarah holding up one side and me the other as the giant fans filed it with air.  We then had an incredibly magical half hour flight and then we switched off with the other passengers and became part of the chase team.  After the others landed we helped pack up the basket and envelope and headed back for a champagne celebration.  Here are just a few photos of us enjoying our very first ballooning experience;





After that it was time to meet with Jim at the Pagosa Springs Sun and to pose for a photo at the bell tower.  We then went in search of lunch at a local whole foods market before heading off to The Springs to take advantage of the free passes that were donated to us by that generous establishment.  After the harrowing ride days I'd had it was a welcome luxury to sit in the hot sprigns and feel the tension melt away.  Then back to the hotel for an early dinner and some minor bike adjustments before hitting the sack early.

What I didn't mention is the fact finding mission I was on all day today as well.  We stopped at both bike shops in town and asked if we could put some brochures up as well as ask advice about the ride to Wolf Creek Pass.  According to the Rocky Mountain Cycling Club this is the 16th hardest climb in the state (and they have some biggies - Mt. Evans and Pike's Peak to name a few) so I wanted to get all the info I could.  Remember, being from Long Island we don't really have any big climbs!

What I found out is that it would go from about 7,900 feet to over 10,900 feet in eight miles with an average gradient of 8% and shooting up to 11 and 12% in places.  AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!  So my plan was to get a good night's sleep and hit it early!

The day started out incredibly well and I hydrated and fueled up at Treasure Falls, which I think must have the most chipmunks per square foot than any other place I've ever been.  Then it was time to climb.  I put it into my lowest gear, tunred on the tunes and settled in to just keep spinning the crankset.  I made it up the first mile to the scenic overlook and took just a moment to appreciate the beauty of the valley before I settled in for the last seven miles.

As I was starting to climb up I saw a semi trailer coming down and I could hear the low gears working hard to gear down.  It was also smoking from the breaks like crazy and there was an escape ramp right there.  I was really surprised that the driver didn't stop and considering the climb I had just done I had a really bad feeling in my stomach.  It was about three minutes later when I heard a load thud and the sound of metal sliding on asphalt.  As I headed over to the side to look down the mountain I already knew what I would see - the semi trailer was lying on its side right where the first switchback started.  All I could think of was my brother David and how he had died in a semi trailer accident.

I didn't see any flames, so I knew that if the driver was alive he could be pulled out by all the people who had stopped and were approaching the cab.  As I continued to watch a Highway Patrol car appeared and I knew that if anyone could do anything, that officer probably could so I reluctantly pulled myself away from the scene and began to tackle the mountain in earnest.

What can I say?  It was simply grinding it out.  I had started the day in a long sleeve jersey and long fingered gloves and as I went along I had to unzip and change into my regular cycling gloves.  And still I kept climbing.  I had left the handlebar bag and frame pump in the van - getting rid of anything that would make the load heavier - and I had taken energy gels and chews with me - I was caffeinated and climbing!

I saw beautiful ponds, gorgeously bubbling mountain streams, some deer running through the trees - and still I climbed.  The sun was rising and heating up the mountain around me - and still I climbed.  And before I knew it I was there - the summit was before me along with a large parking area and a historical marker display!

There was also a trucker parked there so I knocked on his door to see if I could find out about the driver of the rig below.  Thinking again of David, I was afraid of the answer he might give.  Unfortunately, he had been parked there since 1 AM (I had woken him up) and he didn't know anything about the accident.  But I did manage to find a few drivers who told me they saw the driver talking to the High way Patrol, so I knew he was okay, if just a bit banged up and shaky.

It was then that I noticed another cyclist pulling in who had also decided to tackle the Wolf Creek Pass challenge!  He told me he had seen me ahead and had tried to catch me but he just wasn't as acclimated to the altitude.  Thank God for all that earlier climbing, it had gotten my lungs used to it.  I looked at his rather expensive (and probably incredibly light) road bike and I felt very good about the fact that I was able to stay ahead - never mind th efact that he probably left Pagosa Springs 30 minutes after me and only arrived at the Summit ten minutes after me!

He and I spoke for almost a half an hour.  His name is David and he is from England and currently lives in Flagstaff, AZ.  We talked about roads and riding and why I was doing my cross country ride.  He even took a photo of the http://www.connorsarmy.org/ on my sleeve so he could go online and check out my site.  If you're reading this David, thank you for the companionship and the good advice.  I hope your ride down was pleasant and that you got back to PS in time to have some great times with your kids.  And I only just know made the connection that on the whole climb up I was thinking about David and it turns out there was a David right behind me the entire time.

What goes up must come down and I knew from my elevation chart that for most of the rest of my journey I would either be descending or I would be on a fairly flat surface - woohoo!!!!  Now let the fun begin! 

Because I know my wife will most likely read this at some point, I won't tell you what my top speed on the descent was - suffice it to say that if I were driving this fast in my car thorugh most any township on Long Island I would be getting a ticket for going 15 - 20 miles over the speed limit.  I passed through an avalanche snow shed and through a tunnel - that was so incredibly cool!!!!!  I was speeding along at the speed of a car through a tunnel!

The rest of the ride was spent in joyous delight as I maintained an average speed of 20 mph.  Before I knew it I was in Del Norte, CO and I was at the door of La Casita Bonita (the pretty little house) which is part of The Organic Peddlar complex!  And it was only 10:45 in the morning!  So I got the keys to the cottage, bought some soda and chips and sat out on the porch in a rocking chair to await the arrival of my family.  An hour later they arrived (they stopped at Treasure Falls and the Continental Divide) and we jointly decided to just use this as a chill out day.  We had lunch at The Peace of Art Cafe (where I sampled one of the local brews to celebrate my conquering/survival of Wolf Creek Pass, we chilled in the cottage and rad , then Amy made a fantastic dinner of steak and corn in the kitchen which we all enjoyed.

And now it is time for bed to get ready for my 60 mile ride across the valley to Fort Garland - where Kit Carson once served.  But for a little of what I've been seeing during this sojourn in the Colorado mountains, here is a video of me at the Continental Divide.  Expect more video soon!


And the report for the day;

FFR - 1 Deer, 2 Birds of indeterminate species, 1 skunk, 1 rabbit, 1 squirrel , 1 mouse
RRL - Nothing of note

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment