Friday, July 13, 2012

Friendly Times in Walsenburg!


So today I had to face my last major climb for a while, the La Venta pass. Its much lower than Wolf Creek Pass (its only 9, 400 feet) and the grade was much less steep. In all honestly, I probably could have ridden all the way to Walsenburg yesterday but then I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy the Great Sand Dunes with my family. Of course, it would have meant being able to spend an entire off day with Carolyn, but more on that later.

So the day started off early once again with the idea that I would arrive in Walsenburg a little before the family and then head to the newspaper office to do the photo/followup before meeting the family at a new contemporary museum called the Museum of Friends in downtown Walsenburg. Once again (since there was no way we were going to risk the wrath of our hostess by bringing food into our room) I ate breakfast at the local convenience store (coffee and a Little Debbie cheese danish - nutritious) before heading off the road to tackle the La Venta pass. It really was quite easy due to the fact that I’m acclimate to the altitude and since it was nothing compared to Wolf Creek Pass. It WAS bitterly cold and I didn’t prepare enough for it and most of the way up I had a wind directly on my nose, which didn’t make me warm up any.

But all the way up I thought of the mother of that ranger and how cold she would be going through the treatments she would have to endure soon. As always, when I get hot or cold or tired I think of the kids of Sunrise or others that I’m riding for and I remind myself that my discomfort is nothing compared to what they are going through. My pain can never compare to what they experience, my coldness cannot compare to the chill they get to their bones from the chemo, my heat can never compare to children like Brian whose skin has been burned from the inside out due to the chemicals coursing through his blood. So once again I duck my head, dig in deep and remind myself to suck it up and keep pedaling.

And I reached the top of the pass, almost before I knew it! Although there wasn’t as much of a beautiful view as there had been for Wolf Creek Pass, I did experience some moments of beauty with the wildlife. At one point during the climb I saw a doe looking at me from the side of the road. As I rode closer she walked to one foot away from the four foot high fence and then she just bounded over - from a standing start! At another point as I was standing at the summit I looked up to the opposite slope to see a small brown bear moving the edge of the trees. Ahhhh, nature!


Eventually I made it to Walsenburg and since I was very early I rode to the end of town to get an idea as to the route for tomorrow. As I was coming back I saw the family driving down the street and they had just been to the newspaper office and said the staff was in a meeting so we should go to breakfast. After a brief foray to find a place we were directed to George’s Drive in Diner - apparently because “Everyone eats at George’s!” After digging into the biscuits and gravy I knew why - I’ve been eating biscuits and gravy all across the country now and this was the best I’d ever head. Spicy chorizo sausage gave it just the perfect kick.

We then headed back into town where I had a great conversation with the editor of the Walsenburg paper while he took a few photos and then a short followup interview. We have been so blessed that the local medias have embraced our cause and have been getting the word out about Sunrise Day Camp. What’s even better is that because of his initial article, I’ve been able to reconnect with my friend Carolyn whom I haven’t been able to hang out with since the summer after I graduated from SMU. The plan was to meet with her at a new contemporary art museum that had opened in Walsenburg a few years ago - the Museum of Friends. We met Maria and Brendt Berger in the museum. While we were given a private tour by Brendt, the kids went downstairs with Maria and created their own artwork which we are no carrying in the back of the car. We were so touched by the way both Brendt and Maria not only embraced our cause (Brendt asked for brochures and had me give one to some of the local people) but our family as well. Maria was so wonderful with the kids that they didn’t want to leave - even for food!

It was as we were deciding what to do for lunch that Carolyn walked in the door and she looked amazing - like she did in college but with just a bit more gray in her hair - just like me. We finally decided to go to Subway and after a bit of trauma where a gentleman tried to squeeze through a tight place and hit my bike on the rack - it turned out to be okay but it gave me a conniption until I was able to check the gears - we headed off to the local lake so the kids could get their ya ya’s out and burn off some energy. We ate lunch and the kids went crazy in the water and the adults had the chance to talk and catch up. We finally deemed it time to go and after peeling the kids away (William decided to get the e-mail address from his new “friend”) we went into La Venta for some ice cream. We then took the tour of Cuchara where we walked around and were sorely tempted to sit and have a local brew, but I have a long ride tomorrow so I had to decline and we headed to Carolyn’s house in Cuchara instead.

Amy and I immediately fell in love with their mountain home and even more so when we took a walk with Carolyn around the neighborhood. And then it was time for dinner - home prepared Caesar salad with salmon (for our vegetarian girl) until we couldn’t eat any more. But most of all it was the conversation - the chance to reconnect with someone as wonderful as Carolyn. She opened her home and her heart to us and now that we’re preparing for bed (Carolyn is going to drive me into Walsenburg tomorrow) I can truly say it was a day of delight - and now that the day is over, I finally realized that it’s Friday the 13th! I survived the day on the bike, nothing disastrous happened and it was a truly magical day. Take that paraskevidekatriaphobia!

And today's report;

FFL - 3 Rabbits, 1 Deer, 1 Sparrow, 1 Snake, 5 UFO’s
RRL - 6 coolers, 1 cooler top, 3 gloves, 1 work boot

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

1 comment:

  1. Your crossing the great divide entry seems to have disappeared.

    ReplyDelete