Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mesa Verde and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

(Welcome to Our Vacation Home)
Have you ever had one of those days when you wish you could have a do over?  That you could just set back the clock and start all over again?  Today was one of those days for me.  I knew that today would be possibly the longest ride I would do, but I would also be traveling through lots of different terrain.  Unfortunately, the day began badly - yet I didn't yet know that it was going to be the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

It started out with me waking up an hour later than I had wanted to.  I had set my alarm incorrectly and instead of getting up at my planned 4 am, I woke up at 5 am!  I was already behind schedule and I hadn't even rolled off yet.  I quickly inhaled my breakfast and got my bike and me out the door.  I was on the road by 6:15 and everything started well.  And then I hit my first topological challenge of the day - at seven miles out (just where the kind couple told me it would be) there was a hill with 8% incline that kicked up to 10% towards the end - ugghhh, good morning!

After that things went fuairly well - the cows were certainly surprised to see me and at about 30 miles out I actually got a small herd of horses interested enough in me to run along side me for about 50 yeards or so it was like that scene from American Flyers;



Only I didn't attempt the wheelie - I do only have the one bike and it has to last me until Sunrise Day Camp!

About fifteen miles later my support finally appeared over the horizon, but by that point I had been battling a wicked headwind for the last twenty miles and it was giving no indication of abating.  Part of the reason we chose West to East is because this time of the year the winds are SUPPOSED to be West to East prevelent.  I guess the weather didn't get the memo.

I sat down for a while and rehydrated and snacked on some food before I finally got myself together to attempt the next 80 miles of my ride.  I knew it was going to be a long day and I had to get a move on.  And then the day started to go entirely wrong as I had my first flat in almost 900 miles of riding.  Not only was I pushing against a headwind, I was also doing so on a partially deflated tire.  I got the tire changed and started bak on my way.

Only to find out that my gear changing issue was bck again.  So I stopped on the side of the road, turned the bike upside down and started trying to adjust the gears.  I finally got it somewhat satisfactory and as I started to turn i the back rightside up I broke the chain that holds my crucifix and Madonna del Ghisallo medallion!  Ughhh.  It was at this point that I stood on the side of the road like a crazy person cursing and inches close to picking up my bike and throwing it in the ditch.  But then I thought of all the kids of Sunrise and I knew that I couldnt' stop - I had to keep pressing on.

And then I finally saw the sign telling me that the Four Corners Monument was just ahead - I had made it to the first major hurdle and stopping point of the day!  When we first started planning for this trip we were going to book a room at Four Corners and that would be the end of the ride for the day - until we found out there is no place to stay in the Four Corners area!  So we had to rethink and the closest place that would still on the route was Cortez, hence the planned 139 mile day!

And what should I see to my great relief when I pulled into the parking area (after paying the $3 entry fee)?  My beautiful family gathered in and around Vannikan waiting for me to get there!  I rehydrated and gathered my bike so we could go off and take the picture of the whole family at Four Corners!

(And How Many 9 and 13 year-olds Can Say They Done This?)
We also met some more members of Bike and Build, this time the Southern Route crew who had left from Forida and were heading to Monterrey, CA  my old stomping grounds!  We exchanged notes on the road ahead and Sarah and Amy handed out more brochures to the interested riders.  Then it was time for more fueling and hydration before heading out for the last 50 miles for the day. 

Amy and the kids left and passed me on their way out but I caught up to them at the Colorado border where we took a few pictures of us with the sing that said "Welcome to Colorful Colorado".  The irony?  It looked like all the rest of the drab desert I had been riding through this day.  Can you tell this was a long  and wearing day?

And so I settled myself in for another four hours of riding.  Things were going well until about 30 miles outside of Cortez when I could see the first rain cloud I had seen since leaving San Diego making a beeline right for where I was going - adn teh race was on.  I don't know where I got the energy but I started pedaling like I was in a time trial race.  I was do8in gpretty well until a few drops started to hit me from the leading edge of the rain.  Still that wasn't too bad until I saw the lightening start to flash - then I knew I was in deep shoopoo - steel frame bikes, water and lightening do not mix! 

And once again my family came to my rescue - over the rise I could see the familiar lack van with the blue tarp on top and I knew I could at least get out of the lightening - it was too late to be dry since I was totally squishy by this point.  I sat with the family and waited for the rain to pass and then climbed back on to finish the last 25 miles of my journey.

I finally started to see some greenery, the Colorado I had been expecting, about 15 miles outside of Cortez and it was like I had gone to a completely different country.  My pace quickened, my energy seemed to increase and I was in a totally different state of mind - I COULD DO THIS!  I breezed into Cortez and once I got the the high elevation point I revelled in the fact that I was cruising through town on a slight descent.  I could make this ride and still have some energy!

And then ten miles outside of Cortez my second storm of the day hit me - straight on the nose and the lightening was flashing all around me - it was time to find some shelter and there was none to be seen!  It was at this point I was ready to just sit by the side of the road and quit when for the third time that day my saviors arrived in their black van of magic comfort!  Since tomorrow was a rest day we decided then and there taht I would drive to my finish point from today and just make up the five miles again on Monday when I started the ride for Pagosa Springs.  Then we pulled into the Mesa Verde National Park and when we found out it was fifteen miles of climbing (going from 7000 feet elevation to 8000 feet in the process) I knew I would never had made it anyway - I was cooked!

So now I'm in our gorgeous room overlooking an amazing view (it is called the Far View Lodge after all) I'm dry and we're heading off to dinner to refuel the 5,000+ calories I burned today.  I probably won't write tomorrow as we're going to visti Mesa Verde (a place I 've wanted to visit since I was 13) but I'll update again after we hit Pagosa Springs!

And now, for a hit of nostalgia - Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day;



And Now the reports;

FFL - 4 Rabbits, 1 Fox, 1 Coyote, 1 Deer, 1 Sparrow, 1 Snake, 8 UFO’s
RRL - 1 Washing Machine Lid, 1 Dryer Vent Hose

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment