Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fast and Fun (NOT!) Times on the Way to Farmington


Today's Mileage - 98.14  Average MPH - 14.4

I'm not too proud anymore to say that I am of an age where I can remember Sean Penn's primary claim to fame was the stoner in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.  I'm also not ashamed (much to my wife's chagrin) to admit that I actually like the movie, along with the other classic Dazed and Confused.  I guess because both of them pretty much reminded me of my senior year at C. E. Ellison High School in Killeen, TX.  Not that I was a stoner mind you (nope, straight-laced drama and band geek with the occasional foray into jockdom as I pursued soccer and wrestling, very unmainstream Texas sports), but I went to school with a bunch of Spicoli's.  For instance, this scene reminds me of many an exchange I would witness in Algebra II class which was "taught" by the head football coach;



Ahh, those were the days!  I can also remember Sean as he went through his Mr. Madonna phase (shudder) before he starred in amazing films such as A River Runs Through It, became a noted activist, and before he directed such films as The Indian Runner, The Crossing Guard, and The Pledge (I guess it MUST have the word "The" in front before he'll consider the script).

Well today I certainly could at least relate to the fast times part but more on that a little later.  But the day started out anything but fast as you can see from this video of the view as I ate my preride breakfast;


And then on our way up to the road (which was about a mile along a gravel road from the cabin where we stayed overnight) we discovered this little friend;


After saying goodbye to "Crystal" (as she came to be named) and Amy I headed off on my way to Farmington, MO - 100 miles away.

I wish I could say that many eventful things happened on the way but it was mostly non-eventful.  There were a few notable exceptions;

1)  On the 31 miles between Eminence and Ellington I hit some of the hardest climbs I have had in more than 2000 miles.  They were short but steep - I hit grades of 31%, yes you read that correctly 31%!!!!!!!  That sucked huge.

2)  In Ellington I got a little "local knowledge" that the way between Ellington and Farmington wouldn't be so steep.  Also, I was told that the rain lately has been nothing, just fifteen minutes or so and it was gone - THAT WAS WRONG!!!!  I ended up getting soaked for a good hour and a half of the route today - just after I sent Amy and the kids away with my rain gear because according to local knowledge I wouldn't need it.

3)  Once again I was menaced by dogs - this time a pack of five or six.  However, they started chasing (and seriously sprinting after me) after me but I was on a downhill stretch so I kicked it into overdrive and then next thing I knew I was doing 33 mph!  I don't think the dogs knew what had happened and I didn't have to use my pepper spray.

Back home they were riding the Gold Coast Century ride today and I was so sorry I couldn't do it.  In the shape I'm in now I would have smashed it!  I missed it last year because of a family commitment and the year before I didn't finish because that was the year I was doored halfway through.  So instead, I rode my own century today, and it was fast!

And that was pretty much it today.  Sorry, nothing but the facts folks.  It was a great ride - I averaged 14.4 and I got wet and squishy but I had fun.  Last night I had the chance to speak to my good friend Deanna Laster Slade who is the Assistant Director of Sunrise Day Camp.  We have worked out a way for the kids to be involved and I'm so proud to be able to say that tomorrow I am riding in honor of the Acorns (the 3 1/2 year-olds) and the Troopers (the 4 & 5 year-olds).  I am riding to give my strenght and support to these youngest of our campers and I hope you all will join me in thinking of them tomorrow and sending your energy to them!

And today's report;

FFL - 2 Rabbits, 2 Skunks, 1 Possum, 1 Hawk, 4 Squirrels, 1 Dog, 8 UFO's
RRL - 2 coolers, 1 cooler top, 3 gloves, 1 rubber work boot

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!


For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment