Thursday, July 5, 2012

Topsy Turvey to Tuba City!


Miles Ridden Today - 60.58  Average Miles Per Hour - 18.53

Okay, so I didn't really ride through the desert with a sousaphone slung over my shoulder but there were times today when it seemed just as precarious as I wended (went? wented? wanted?) my way towards Tuba City, AZ!

The day started out as usual at 5:00 in the morning with me (successfully?) getting all of my preparations done without waking the family.  I was on the road by 6:00 and I decided to pop in across the street and get some real coffee before heading out.  Then it was off towards Tuba City with stops at various spots on the Southeast rim of the Grand Canyon.  I took my own picture using the self-timer feature on the camera at the entrance to the Grand Canyon.  After passing through the gate for what may very well be the last time in my life (I really can't envision when I'll get to come back again) I headed East for Desert View.

I had ridden part of this road on Tuesday when I had gone out on a training ride so I was familiar with the hills (and views) for the first 15 miles.  What I wasn't prepeared for was to have an elk cross the road 50 feet in front of me as I was rolling along at 25 miles an hour.  I tried to stop and get the video camera out so I could take pictures but I was too late.

Eventually I made it to Desert View after numerous stops to gaze at the beauty of the Grand Canyon.  I think I could probably live the rest of my life here, go every day and probably be mesmerized by the grandeur of this work of nature.  At one pont it was clouded over but the shafts of light were coming down in diagonal angles and creating the most amazing lighting effect upon the canyon below.  I just had to stop and wonder.  Once at Desert View I rolled my bike to the edge and had some friendly Harley riders take a picture of Pearl and I at the edge of the Grand Canyon.  I went to the top and took lots of pictures (on William's camera) then went to the snack bar and refueled.

And then it was off to the races!  I had to try to get to Cameron before the family and according to my elevation charts it was almost completely down hill until Cameron.  I passed through a small chunk of the Painted Desert and stopped a few times to once again drink in the beauty of the place I was leaving behind.  It so funny because as a kid my family and I would drive from Monterrey, CA to Gastonia, NC almost every summer and we would drive through this part of the country twice each summer.  But its so different when you're traveling at 25 miles an hour only three feet off the ground.   The colors are vibrant and every curve and ripple of the landscape is so evident.  The grades that seem so easy in the car become mountains on the bike - but I revelled in all of it - until I hit Cameron, AZ.

It was at Cameron that I got the first inkling that this was not going to be the huge piece of cake that I thought it might be.  First off, I had no cell service!  Now remember, I'm probably one of 22 people in America who don't have a smart phone with 4G coverage.  So I'm relying on ATT&T's standard coverage.  Apparently, it doesn't extend to Cameron, AZ (or pretty much anywhere within a 60 mile radius of said town) or its environs.  So I couldn't call Amy and tell her that I was making good time and she wouldn't see me before I turned off of Highway 89 onto Highway 160 (which I'll be on until Walsenburg, CO).  I just had to hope for the best.

And then I hit the most frightening stretch of road I've encountered thus far.  Apparently, Adventure Cycling Association didn't throroughly vet this section of road before they decided to include it on the Grand Canyon Connector section of their maps becuase there were huge chunks of the highway that had no shoulder.  Well, that's not entirely true, there was a shoulder but it had those rumble divots in it to warn sleepy drivers when they were going off the road;



Unfortunately, there was never a time when I could nod off like Mack simply becuase I was scared to death of the land yachtshurtling past me at 70 mph only a few feet off my left shoulder!  Most of them were very good about obeying the three foot clearance law but every now and then I would get the occasional jerk who would buzz me at about 18 to 24 inches -  I was never happier than when I finally made it to Highway 160!

And here is where I begin my journey of being completely off the grid!  I had forgotten to print out the google maps versions of my route so at this point I have no idea how far I've to to go.  To compound this problem, my Garmin GPS ran out of juice in Cameron so all I know is that I have 22 miles to go but I have no idea where that 22 miles will be or what my elevations are.  I have no idea where I am!  And I have no idea where Amy is - I'm just pedaling! 

Finally I get a sign that says "Tuba City 15" and I know that all I have to do is count down the mile markers. Its 100+ degreesand I don't know where the hills are! I just have to hope for the best!


Finally, I'm able to deduce from the mile markers that I only have two miles to go, then one!  And then I look in front of me and I see a huge hill in front of me!  It's not one of my usual 6 % grades that I'm used to, this one feels incredibly like a 10 to 12 %!  And its hot, and I've already pedaled 72 miles in 100 + degree heat!  There's only one thing to do - yes, you guessed it, "just keep pedaling"!  Eventually I get to the top and right there is the Moenkopi Lodge!  But no Amy and ompany!  I had actually beat them to a destination!  And so I headed in to check in and found out the room wouldn't be ready for another hour and a half - so off to get some diet coke and corn nuts (they've become my new favorite salt replenishment snack) and then I rode back to wait on the bench out front for them.  Afte my disappointment in not beating them on our arrival to Tusayan, this was going to be sweet.

Eventually the family arrived and we went off in search of a suitable feeding zone.  Unable to find said zone we decided to sit in the breakfast area and eat some of our sandwich fixings from our supply.  After dinner at the Denny's next door, the rest of the evening was spent in rest and relaxation (and the kids arguing over what channel to watch!).  Tomorrow we leave the rollicking zaniness that is Tuba City for the crazy times of Keyenta!

And now, the daily reports;

FFR - 1 fox, 1 coyote, 2 squirrels, 1 raven, 1 snake, 5 UFO's
RRL - 2 cooler lids, 1 cooler, Jan Brewer's Recycling

Stay well and I'll update again from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com/
To donate and help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment