Friday, July 20, 2012

Lessons Learned on the Way to Larned

 

Miles Ridden Today - 94.76   Average Miles Per Hour - 12.03

Today I almost quit the ride.  I have never in my life felt so alone, so defeated, so utterly run through the wringer.  At one point I actually considered hurling my bike into the ditch and just giving up.  I think if I would have had phone service and could have reached Amy to come and get me I just might have.  But I'll get to that in a moment.

The day started benignly enough as Sarah joined me for twenty miles of the ride and we perambulated at our usual 12 miles an hour tempo.  It was early and although we didn't see the sun rise this morning we had a happy time just cruising around among the deserted Kansan roads.  We saw lots more cows and more hawks making lazy circles in the sky (even thought that apparently only happens in Oklahoma!).  We even managed to take a short break at this marker commemorating the homestead of George Washington Carver outside of Beeler, KS - population 25.


Before we knew it, Amy and the boys were there and it was time to pick up Sarah and for me to ride on my lonesome way.  At the time I didn't think it would be too bad although the wind had begun to creep up on me.  "This can't be too bad," I thought, "it's Kansas, land of Dorothy, of Toto, of flat lands stretching as far as the eye can see."  And indeed, I started to think I was truly in the Land of Oz as very soon I came across a town that seemed to be completely paved in brick;
 

As I traveresed my way through this town I came to find out that it was Ness City, the county seat of Ness County.  Unfortunately I had made a major miscalculation in how far I would be riding today.  You can hear me in the video saying I'm about halfway to Larned.  Ohhhhhhhh, how wrong I was.  As it would turn out, I was only a third of the way from where I needed to be and the wind was starting to pick up.

Part of the reason why we decided to travel West to East this summer is that conventional wisdom tells us that the prevailing Subtropical Jet Stream flows from West to East during this time of the year.  Sort of like this;


Conventional Wisdom LIES!!!!! 

Apparently there is one thing you need to know about Kansas - the wind ALWAYS blows.  I thought I was fairly safe today since I was traveling almost due east on Kansas Highway 96 for much of the journey, then on US - 183 for about twenty miles, and then the final push to Larned on Kansas Highway 156.  Simple, right?????

Wrong!  Almost as soon as Amy and the kids left me the wind shifted around from Southwesterly to Southeasterly - pretty much on my nose!  And it would stay there for the next 70 miles!  Now I have had my share of bad days and I wrote about one of the very worst, which was when I rode to Mesa Verde.  This was worse!  Once I left Ness City the wind stayed on my nose but it began to blow harder and where I once was cruising along at 18+ mph, I found myself struggling to maintain 14 mph.

And it got worse!  Although there were some memorable moments on this ride and some great side trips and more historical markers to take note of, I found myself about twelve miles outside of Ness City sobbing and struggling as hard as I could to simply travel at 12 mph!  "I can't do this, its too hard" I said in between sobs and trying to catch my breath.  I actually kept eyeing the patches of shade along the way as by this time the temperature was hovering around 100 degreees and with the wind blowing as hard as it was it felt like opening a blast oven.  Yet every time I got to the aforementioned shade I found a reason to try to make it to the next patch of shade "That one looks bigger", "this one looks uncomfortable", "maybe there will be a gas station up ahead".  My TransAmerica maps were not being helpful here since I had already passed one spot that didn't have the facilities it claimed existed.

While riding I consulted my map and estimated I only had another eight miles to get to the intersection of Kansas 96 and US - 183.  The map indicated multiple places to stop for refreshment and so I convinced myself I could make it that far.  If need be Amy could come and get me.  And then I found the following message printed out for me on the hillsides of Kansas;

 
 

 Perhaps that was the lesson I was supposed to learn, similar to the one that Jake and Elwood learned in The Blues Brothers;
  

 
However, at the moment it was hard to realize that might be the truth.  I knew I was on a mission of mercy and I was pedaling as hard as I could just to finish the leg today and try to do so for the kids of Sunrise Day Camp.  But it was also hard to think of anything except to continue going.
 
By the time I reached the intersection I was totally spent.  And to top it off, I was at least two hours behind schedule, I couldn't reach Amy on the phone to come and get me even if I wanted to, and the only thing open was a bar and restaurant - the rest of the town seemed to have dried up and closed down.  And to make matters worse, the wind was starting to shift again and was coming directly from the south - the very direction I was about to start riding.
 
To brace myself I went into the restaurant and it seemed like everyone in town was having lunch there that day.  Fortunately I had half a sandwich and other foodstuffs left over from the day before so all I needed was liquid.  I refilled my water bottles with the bartender and ordered the largest Mountain Dew they had.  It looked to be a 32 ounce big gulp and I was a happy camper.  She told me there were free refills, which I would definitely be needing if I was to fortify myself for the wind tunnel/blast furnace I was about to enter.  I went outside and sat down on one of the covered picnic tables outside and proceeded to injest as much food as I could handle as well as a couple of turbo shots and a Five Hour Energy Drink that I had bought in Ness City.  I truly needed the caffeine.
 
But I was behind schedule and I knew Amy would be having doom filled fantasies, especially since I had no cell service - it was time to get back on the road.  And five miles in along this twelve mile stretch is where I broke down again.  I just couldn't get myself going.  I was pedaling as hard as I could, the heat was blasting against me at 100 degrees, it was not flat any longer as the road was now undulating up and down and I just couldn't do it.  As I came upon the figure you see at the top of this blog I realized I just couldn't push on any longer.  I rode about another mile and found there was no shade anywhere along the entire road to be seen.  With tears streaming down my face, I simply pulled off the side of the road, pulled my Connor's Army baseball cap out of my bag, drank some water and lay down on the dead and dried up grass on the side of the road.  I knew Amy would be worrying since I should have been there by now but I still had no service and I couldn't go on.  I fell asleep in the heat with the sweat pouring off my body there in the hot sun.  People stopped occasionally to ask me if I were okay.  It was odd, since where I'm from on Long Island I could be stopped by the side of the road bleeding and no one would stop to ask if I were okay.  But here I was, a complete stranger and folks felt compelled to check and see if I was in distress.  I love Kansans!
 
It felt like hours but by my watch it had only been twenty minutes when I awoke.  Oddly, I felt slightly refreshed - at least enough to start up again.  So I looked about, saw no traffic coming so I relieved myself and got back on the road, heading back into the wind that was blowing straight "on my nose" to use a nautical term.  It was excrutiating slow going and I looked down often to see that I was barely pedaling at 10 mph.  There would be times when a rogue side gust would hit me and it would be all I could do to stay upright.

Eventually I hit the intersection of US - 183 and Kansas 156 where I thought I would be safe.  The wind was still blowing briskly but I thought that if it were blowing from the south while I was heading East it would be "on my beam" and not so bad, right?

Wrong, about the same time I hit the intersection the wind shifted again, to settle in a more SSE direction.  I was having absolutely no luck with the wind today.  Once again I began to succumb to my emotions and my exhaustion.  I just felt as if I couldn't face another mile.  The problem was I had at least another fifteen miles to go and I had run out of water.  It was all I could do to continue pedaling.  Just fifteen miles, another hour and a half, I could do this.

And then looming on the horizon in front of me was the familiar black shape with the blue tarp on top - Vannikan Roadwalker with Amy and the kids!  I COULD do this!  They made a U-Turn and passed me, finding a good place to pull over on the side.  As I saw them I once again sobbed.  As I pulled up to the van I was still crying slightly as the kids piled out of the van to give me hugs and sustenance.  Amy said they had come looking for me because I was running so late and she couldn't reach me on the phone so she came looking for me.

They refueled me and told me about their incredible adventure at Fort Larned, a National Historic Site, which meant they got another Junior Ranger badge each.  My GPS showed it was just slightly ahead on the right so I knew I could make it now.  I was refueled and Amy informed me it was only 12 miles to Larned - one more hour and I would be there!  Amy gave me the room key and told me they were going to go to the public pool (which was supposed to be amazing) and I could just go to the room, take a shower and hang out till they got there.  After refilling my water bottles they headed off, leaving me to finish my day from hell alone.

In just a few miles I came across this sign and knew that I would be at my final destination soon; 



As hot as it was and as exhausted as I was, I just focused on keeping my pedals going.  Before I knew it I was in Larned proper and I stopped at the first convenience store I could find to chug down a Monster Energy drink and scarf down the last of my food.  I headed back out and followed Amy's directions to the Rodeway Hotel in Larned.  It was a beautiful sight to behold;

 
I made myself comfortable, showered and promptly fell asleep until the family arrived. 
 
We celebrated by breaking one of our cardinal rules - we ate fast food at the local Pizza Hut!  Then back to the room to watch the Food Network reruns of Chopped and Cupcake Wars!
 
So what did I learn today? 
I hate Kansas weather. 
I like Kansas people. 
Perhaps all of this has a purpose that I don't even fathom yet. 
I can make it, I can survive these rides, I can make a difference for the kids of Sunrise.
I WILL NOT LET ANYTHING BEAT ME!
Without my family, I truly will not be able to finish this ride.
 
And now, today's report;
 
FFL - 7 UFO’s, 4 Rabbits, 1 Snake, 1 Skunk, 4 Birds of indeterminate species, 1 mouse
RRL - Nothing of note

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!


For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment