Saturday, July 14, 2012

Powering to Pueblo!

super twin jet powered bike

Miles Ridden Today - 57.43  Average Miles Per Hour - 17.16

Well, I actually didn't actually propel myself along today on a bike like the one you see pictured above.  But due to some great rest at Carolyn's place and somewhat flat terrain I managed to log my third fastest average MPH only bested by my rides to Fort Garland and Tuba City.  Although such a bike would have been helpful and can apparently be purchased online I stick to the tried and true Black Pearl that has gotten me so far already.

The day started bright and early with Carolyn driving me into Walsenburg, that lovely little town where we met Maria and Brendt Berger.  Along the way we saw some incredible rock formations which looked just like the spine of a dragon;


You can't really see it from this angle but when you pass it on the road it is so narrow that it truly looks like some sort of dorsal spike on a mythological creature!

Carolyn drove me in our van because it had the bike rack and since we needed gas we filled up.  She and I then managed to just have some great bonding time, one of those talks about family and life that we hadn't had since college.  Before I knew it, it was after 9:20 in the morning - about an hour and twenty minutes after I had planned to leave!  So it was time to book it like no one's business.  As I left Walsenburg I was struck by bittersweet feelings as I watched the Rocky Mountains paralell my path on my left.  As leery as I was to traverse them, they really helped me understand what this journey is about and if I will have the mettle to hold up.  Too often when I saw the road rising above me and I was suffering I had to remind myself, "They can't give up, so I won't give up".  Climbing the Rockies (even for the short time I was here) taught me that I CAN do this!  So it was with mixed feelings that I watched them slowly marching off to my left.

Yet a large source of trepidation for me was the fact I was traveling on I-25 for the entire 45 miles from Walsenburg to Pueblo.  Apparently there was another back route I could go but it would entail riding 75 miles instead and I just wasn't prepared for that today - I needed a break!  So I braved the highway with memories/flashbacks of that frightening trip up 89 out of Cameron, AZ towards Tuba City.  And then I came upon this sign and I new all was well - I had a RIGHT (or at least legal permission) to be there!


Before I knew it I was actually there!  It wasn't as big a deal since it was only about 40 miles from Walsenburg and I figured I would reach that in two and half hours.  But Madonna del Ghisallo was smiling on me today and I made it in slightly less than two hours.

Of course upon reaching Pueblo I then got hopelessly confused, especially since I was off the grid and just operating from the Colorado DOT bike map.  All thanks be to my sister Alina who purchased the Garmin Edge 605 for me because without it I surely would have gotten lost.  Especially since I was not permitted to ride on US 25 through the center of Pueblo.  I had to create a detour and it was only through the grace of Garmin that I managed to get to the right intersection.  Once back on the freeway I called Amy to get the address of the KOA where we were staying and she told me to look for the signs.  There were none!  Eventually I just told her I would wait for her on the side of the road as I was out of water and it was just after that she and the kids came to my rescue in good old Vannikan  Roadwalker!

We actually stayed at the Pueblo Kampgrounds of America site in one of their Kozy Kabins which had been donated to us.  We were incredibly grateful to have a free place to stay.  It wasn't as spacious and homey as staying with my friend Carolyn but it was cozy (hence the name) and small (hence the Kabin part).  The only downside of it all (other than the extreme heat) was the discovery of a little friend in the overhead light.  You see, it appears we had roomed with an Arizona Bark Scorpion which inhabit almost all of the Sonoran desert.  Our little friend looked like this;

 (No really, I'm DANGEROUS!)
And although we didn't get an actual photo of our little friend, we did manage to get a photo of the kids after they had stopped screaming (too much) and had taken refuge outside;

(YOU go check it out!  No, YOU go check it out! No, You go check it out....)
Since I am the official family entymologist and/or bug discarder, it was my job to unscrew the overhead light fixture and carry our little friend far past the tree you see in the distance.  The kids didn't leave the table until I showed them the empty fixture and had rinsed it off so no scorpion eggs could be hidden on it.  Now you have to understand, I have been fairly frightened of scorpions and tarantulas every since I saw that classic 1957 movie The Black Scorpion at a drive in movie when I was about six



But I'm the dad and it's my job.  It wasn't until tonight when I was researching the little critter when I realized exactly how dangerous our little friend is.  Turns out he is an Arizona Bark Scorpion and they inhabit most of the Sonoran desert.  Here are some of the things the website buzzle had to say in their article about our roommate;
  • The Arizona scorpion, is one of the many venomous; Arizona animals found in the Sonoran Desert. It feeds on crickets and cockroaches.
  • These scorpions do not make burrows, and instead hide inside preexisting holes or small openings. Which may explain, as to why these invertebrates find human and animal shelters an easy and comfortable haven for survival.
  • They are attracted to humidity and prefer moisture. This is the reason why, these scorpions infest areas with vegetation and moisture, such as gardens, near house-ponds, kitchen cabinets and sink, the bathroom/toilet.
  • A peculiar trait displayed by these scorpions, is that they can stick to the undersurface of objects. For instance, a seemingly normal rock in a garden, may have a scorpion under its surface, making anyone who comes near the rock; an easy target.
  • These are the only scorpions in the world, which can climb up walls and hide on the ceiling, behind curtains and other vertical surfaces.
There's more but those were the hightlights.   After all was said and done we got over the fear of the scorpions we loaded everyone up and headed into town in search of food.  We found a great place called Soup 'r Salad where we could get all the veggies and soup we wanted for one low price.  It was heaven - nutritious and economical at the same time. 
 
It was then time to head back to our Kozy Kabin and try to get some sleep.  I'm not sure any of us will handle that too well without the covers over our heads. 
 
Tomorrow we head into town to explore Pueblo on a Sunday - wish us luck!
  
And the daily report;

FFL - 2 Rabbits, 6 Snakes, 2 UFO’s,
RRL - Nothing of note which was weird since I was on the highway.  What are the odds?

Stay well and I'll update more from the road!

For another perspective on our journey check out Amy's blog at http://www.crosscountrymama.blogspot.com//
To help us get the kids to Sunrise go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056
Check out our website at http://www.connorsarmy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment